FabuLaos


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vang Vieng
November 27th 2006
Published: December 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Laos 17Laos 17Laos 17

A view from the hammock and Mei's dirty feet !
Hey,

Admit it, you love it, my Sun inspired title for the time we've spent in the jewel on the Mekong that is Laos. We've been here just under the two week mark but we've still managed to cover from mid Laos northwards a far as the spiritual capital of Laos, Luang Prabang.

I hinted in our previous blog that the time spent in Laos would be a much more active period in our travels and the forthnight didn't dissappoint. Tubing, treking, swimming, caving, kayaking and elephant riding were best part of the activities we undertook to while away the parts of the day when we were not partaking of the other main pastime of the 20 something traveller in this little landlocked gem, Beer Lao !

Now Laos is probably known to the rest of the world, for I would suggest a handful of reason's at most, perhaps as one of the most bombed nations in the world, it's relatively recent status as a French colony, or for it's awe inspiring scenic beauty and it's incredibly friendly people but if any of the nations wonders are to gain true iconic status throughout the globe, it's gotta be
Laos 1Laos 1Laos 1

The tough life of watching the Laos sunset over the Mekong.
the Beer Lao it's beer making genius has created.

This best served chilled(like any beer would be enjoyable served tepid or room tempature like it's red wine cousin) 650ml brown bottle of liquid gold is the perfect accompanyment to a spicy Laos salad on the banks of the Mekong as the sun struggles to stay atop the surrounding limestone peaks but for a few seconds more, or with a bag of crisps, peanuts, shaved lemongrass or just on it's own, I'd certainly drink it all day on it's own. Now given the muck slopped in front of us in most bars back home I would have thought just receiving a larger than normal bottle of strong, clean crisp beer would be enough, but this garguantuan prize only costs between 6 and 8,000 Kip or 50 to 60 cents to those of you unfamiliar with the currency of favour in Laos.

Those meagre few hours which did remain after our outdoor pursuits had ended and we'd consumed our fill of Beer Lao, were taken up with the obligitory tour of the cultural sites of the locations we settled down in and much to Laos's credit we were not left
Laos 3Laos 3Laos 3

What else is there to do whilst floating down the river in a big tyre inner tube?
feeling flat by what we were presented with, most especially Luang Prabang which it seems a common theme in SE Asia is a UNESCO World Heritage Town located on the meeting point of the Mekong and the Nam Khan rivers. The town has kept much of it's French influenced architecture and also has an abundance of stunning buddhist wats dating back centuries.

Laos was a wonderful visit and a great experience, it genuinely seems 20 years or so behind it's Vietnamese neighbours(from whom it's trying to gain further insight on the tourism trade - no need if ya ask me!). Even old cynics like us must finally admit that the sights of a lone fisherman casting his net on the Mekong as the sunsets or the boatload of buddhist monks ascending the steps of their cliffside wat from the Nam Khan were indeed everyday features of Laos life and not the bright idea of the Laos tourism board. We leave Laos for Thailand that little more travelled and a little less cynical(Well Mei does, but ya know me, still a little cynical to the last !).

Take care and remember one foot forward is no use unless followed
Laos 2Laos 2Laos 2

Head full of air
by the other,

Manto







Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Laos 13Laos 13
Laos 13

Mei wins first prize for finding the waterfall !
Laos 9Laos 9
Laos 9

Tae son waterfalls - just gorgeous
Laos 8Laos 8
Laos 8

Whoa-oh-oh-ooh-oh-oh... Mys-ter-i-ous girl..... Peter Andre eat your heart out!
Laos 12Laos 12
Laos 12

Me and Nam
Laos 15Laos 15
Laos 15

Me and Nam get a little close to the traffic ahead and get the full force of their exhaust !
Laos 5Laos 5
Laos 5

They love the Wizard of Oz in Laos - even built statues to commemorate it.
Laos 6Laos 6
Laos 6

Getting the usual stoney cold response to his advances
Laos 11Laos 11
Laos 11

Just a few of the monks strolling looking for morning alms offerings...
Laos 7Laos 7
Laos 7

Lone fisherman on his way back in as the sun sets !
Laos 16Laos 16
Laos 16

Monks sneak up the back stairs into the Wat after a fair session on the beer at the all nighter just down the river.
Laos 14Laos 14
Laos 14

Just some the intricate detail on the outside of one of the Wat's - see if ya can guess what story they are trying to tell.
Laos 4Laos 4
Laos 4

The sign behind says no photographs - think they are just trying to prevent poses like this ! - it's for me portfolio


15th December 2006

Uncle Anto
Well Anto it's official - you're an uncle. Harrison (provisional name) arrived just after 11am on Friday 15th December. He weighed in at 10 pounds and has a head of black hair and a big pair of shoulders. An absolute beaut. Michael is gonna send you some pictures and Carol should be out by Monday. Anyhoo congrats uncle Anto.

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb