Vang Vieng!


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vang Vieng
October 28th 2006
Published: November 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Beautiful ScenaryBeautiful ScenaryBeautiful Scenary

bike ride through the limestone mountains and paddie fields

Well the next few days in vang vieng were very advenurous! We first rented a bike and rode about 12 km through villages and farm country. Every few km's there was a turn off for a different cave. The first one we went to we payed 50cents each to get in and then we had 2 little 6 year old boys take us through the cave. It was sooo scary but these boys took good care of us. The cave was pitch black. It was filled with huge spiders and bats that the boys had to keep pointing out. All we had was 2 flashligths and 2 little boys to keep us alive. Once we were in the cave it was impossible to see without the flashlight. Some of the openings and tunnels in the cave were soo small we could barely fit in. but we had to keep following these boys or we would have never found our way out. We were probably lost in this cave for 45 minutes or so. When we came out we were completly covered in mud! After this experience i think i can do anything. lol.

After the first cave we carried
Happy ShakesHappy ShakesHappy Shakes

All the restaurants had the same food menus. This one was also included.
on biking down a road to a place called blue lagoon and cave. This swimming hole was soo beautiful. The water was a crystal clear turqoise color and there was nice fish swimming around. It was a nice swim after a hot bike ride and cave. Then we just went back for dinner. All the restaurants in this town are strange they all have couches and bed surrounding a table with lots of pillows. Each restaurant is always playing either the simpsons, friends, or a movie. It is a good place to chill for a while since everything shuts down so early because it is a communist country. All the menus are all the same at every restaurant also. It is a very tourist orientated town here.

The next day we decided to take an organized tour. It included some more caving, tubing and kayaking. on the way to the first cave the truck driving us went over a huge pothole and got a flat tire. What a suprise! When we finally got there we first saw elephant cave where the inside formed the shape of an elephant. It wasnt as impressive as the one the little boys took us through. We then went to see another cave. We got to tube inside the cave in the dark to a certain point then we got off our tubes and did some crawling, sliping and sliding through little tunnels. It was a really good experience also. I think i am caved out now for a couple months. Maybe again in Vietnam. After the caving part we had a BBQ lunch prepared for us and then we kayaked 17km down the river. It was fun going down all the rapids. I had never been kayaking before but i think river kayaking was alot more exciing than on an ocean or a lake.

Today we left vang vieng for luang prabang. It was another scary bus ride. This time it was 7 hours of the windest steepest hills you have ever seen. The driver was moving very quickly and us not feeling the greatest made it not the greatest trip. But now that we are here it is a beautiful city.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Endless ViewsEndless Views
Endless Views

All the limestone mountains were filled with caves.


26th November 2006

Scenery
That is an awesome picture. You look great in the beautiful scenery!!

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0238s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb