Trip to Laos


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
September 19th 2006
Published: September 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

After 1 1/2 weeks in Thailand we decided to leave for the next country on our wish list: Laos!

We had been told the nicest way to get there would be by boat, so we decided to do so.... However, this would be quite an undertaking, since it would take 3 days.. First 6 hours in a minivan to the border, overnight stay in Chiang Kong (still Thailand), then 7 hours on the boat, overnight stay in the middle of nowhere, and again 7 hours on the boat.

Well.. it was quite an experience. The boat trip was definitely beautiful, and it was great to see that this wasn't just a tourist thing, but also the main transport means for people that live along the Mekong.. We stopped several times to pick up people, luggage, chickens, etc.. Quite funny. Very comfortable it wasn't, however. Especially the first day, when we sat on wooden benches that made your bottoms hurt after half an hour was quite a torture.

The hotels weren't really what we were used to either.. No airco, in one not even hot water, not very clean.. But okay, that's the real backpacking I guess 😉. And to make it worse, both the hotels were in the middle of nowhere. In Chiang Kong there was at least still a main street with some bars, in one of which we watched Wedding crashers outside (pretty cool experience), the second one was in a village without light and thus left us no other choice than to have dinner in our hotel and go to bed early..

So, the trip was not only comfort and luxury, but I definitely don't regret it.. It's just very nice to be in Luang Prabang now, in our nice 12$ hotel room with hot water, airco, normal bathroom and clean sheets.. It does definitely make you appreciate the little things in life a lit more, such a trip.. 😉


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0339s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1022.5kb