weds day 103


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
May 8th 2015
Published: May 8th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We all set our alarms for a 05.30 start today to go and see the monks walking around collecting their arms. They set off around 6am and walk in a complete line around the town carrying large pots where the locals ( and some tourists ) give them their daily food. Quite interesting to see such an old tradition. Walking to a cafe for some breakfast we met up with two of katya's friends who would be joining us for the day. Bargaining with a tuk tuk driver and getting a good price we were driven firstly to a waterfall - about an hour away. Walking through a bear rescue centre where the bears are rescued from mistreatment for generally tourist use and put in this place which is similar to a zoo - I didn't agree with either. Seeing them rocking back and forth and pacing from being caged is also mistreatment - no!? Moving swiftly on we made it to a stunning waterfall. Being full of water ( ive seen many waterfalls but because the countries are in dry season - theres not always much water!) that is so clear from the sun reflecting off the limestone it was beautiful. The waterfall had many tiers and lovely areas for swimming so Jenna and annalene popped in for a swim while we sat at the side taking pictures. From here we were back in the tuk Tuk and driven an hour or two to the Buddha caves. Half way there the road turned into what can only be described as a dirt track with the driver doing a grand job at controlling the vehicle. Making it as far as we could by track we then walked trough a small village and down to the Mekong river to catch a small longtail boat over to the caves. Getting out at a small jetty and climbing steps we made it into the first cave which is full of old Buddha's mostly covered in dust. Climbing some more steps to a higher cave we needed torches as this one containing a Buddha was pitch black. Making the return journey back to Luang prabang and back to the guesthouse it had been a long day - but very enjoyable. Catching an hours r and r Katya and i headed out to meet the others for dinner at a restaurant in town. Heading out for a few drinks after the meal as it was annalenes last night with us all to be able to say goodbye.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.182s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1106s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb