A post about Pachyderms.


Advertisement
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
May 29th 2014
Published: May 31st 2014
Edit Blog Post

A 20 minute drive from Luang Prabang brought us to the elephant village where we spent the next two days. We'd done a lot of research before choosing the Elephant Park Project. Like almost everyone, we love elephants. And the idea of seeing one close up, touching it, appealed to both of us. But humans have a history of interactions that put animals on the losing end of the stick, and we didn't wan... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

AmazedAmazed
Amazed

They use the tip of their trunks like hands - it is so dexterous - I wasn't expecting that.
I want more!I want more!
I want more!

These guys can EAT (and poop). The project does such an awesome job involving the community - locals bring in foodfrom the forest and are paid according to weight. There is fresh food in piles around the feeding station all the time. The elephants stuff themselves with sugarcane and reach for banana treats at the same time.
Restaurant catsRestaurant cats
Restaurant cats

This mamma and her two kittens lived somewhere around the restaurant and knew exactly when to come out. I'm sure they earned a decent living as we along fed them half our meals. We saw a lot more cats in Laos than in Vietnam. People seem to really love them here.
Downward tiltDownward tilt
Downward tilt

It's a little scary going downhill on an elephant
Goodnight!Goodnight!
Goodnight!

Off to their night time camp in the jungle



31st May 2014

So happy to read of your adventures!
Awesome! I think our friends Dag and Maria have been there working with elephants. Love the UFO! Keep having fun guys!
31st May 2014

Wow!
That's really cool Heather. We did so much research about where to go to make sure we were supporting a project that was good for the elephants. It was amazing. Joe send me a note about the Bowen swim and picnic and I hear the weather has been good this May - we're thinking of you guys!!
31st May 2014
Crossing the river

Research
I'm glad you did your research. When we were in Thailand they took us to an event that we really didn't ask enough questions and were sad when we saw the elephants we kicking soccer balls and painting. Looks like you found a great place to experience.
1st June 2014
Crossing the river

Research
Nothing is perfect though. They still offer trekking chairs for some people which are supposed to be hard on the elephants. These are for very short trips so people can get used to the motion of the elephants but still, not great. And a baby was born to one of the elephants. It's only a year old so is kept with it's mother across the river but it wasn't clear what they would do with him when he gets older. They don't use males to transport tourists. We've had experiences like you describe with other animals and in other countries. It's so hard to navigate. Especially when accurate information you can trust is not easily accessible.
3rd June 2014

Eles!
What an amazing elephant encounter! I'm so jealous. It can be so hard to research elephant camps in Asia, so thanks for the tip on Adore Animals. And I know exactly what you mean about that feeling of happiness you get when you are near an elephant :)
7th June 2014

Thanks for the comment guys!
We just got back from Siem Reap and even though we didn't get to try the fried tarantulas you wrote about we also absolutely love the food. Your posts and photos about Cambodia inspired us to at least make a quick trip to Siem Reap before we leave Vietnam and we're glad we did! We'd love to go back and visit for a much longer time.
4th June 2014
More?

Kitty and Toes
A very cute kitty and I love the colors. I also think I recognize those cute (and somewhat short) toes with beautiful red polish. I'm pretty sure those aren't Matt's long monkey toes.
7th June 2014
More?

Kitty and Toes
Can't fool you Dad! Between the kittens and the elephants, Roberta was a very happy camper...
4th June 2014
Elephant butt

Thanks!
Thank you for the wonderful butt pic. I was in Winter Park this last weekend and got a very nice moose butt pic. Why do the animals always turn their backsides to me. Hmmmm! Love all of the elephant pics. What a great experience! Except for those spider/ scorpion things.
7th June 2014
Elephant butt

You're welcome!
I can't remember how you ended up becoming the "butt" of these jokes, but as you can tell we are thinking about you!

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 80; dbt: 0.0714s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.3mb