Elephant trekking in Luang Prabang


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
July 5th 2013
Published: July 5th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Today I threw all caution to the wind and went elephant trekking. Before going on the activity we checked with our guide who assured us that the elephants were well looked after and hadn't been taken from the wild for purely tourist activities. when we arrived the elephants were tucking in to breakfast of sugar cane which they obviously enjoyed. After this we got into the seats for two people and off we went. It was fine until we started going down a steep slope when it became a little wobbly. After this we proceeded into the river where the elephants drank. We carried on up the river for a while at which point the river was quite deep and the water was up to the top of the elephants legs. Once more a rather bumpy ride this time going up the hill. After this we arrived back at the camp where the seats were taken off the elephants and we were put back on to ride them back down to the river, not quite what I was expecting. once in the river the elephants went right down under the water leaving only their trunks visible. I was convinced I was heading into the river but managed to stay on by gripping my knees so tightly they hurt the day after. After several dunkings and spraying from the elephant we returned to the camp soaking wet but having had a fun time.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.204s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.096s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb