Laos Day 3


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
January 30th 2013
Published: January 30th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday we left Houei Xai and sailed south. We travelled through mountains and forests and past villages perched high up in the trees to reach our overnight stay, Luang Say Lodge, on the banks of the Mekong river. The river, at this time of year, is very low so we faced a 40-50 meter climb to reach our accommodation in the forests above. The Lodge is made up of a central main building surrounded by wooden bungalows interconnected by teak walkways, we would each have our own house on stilts for the night. We dined Laotian style with a huge buffet and plenty of wine and retired for the night.

Today we continued on our Journey down the mighty Mekong to our final destination of Luang Prabang. I don't use the word "mighty" lightly as in August 2008 the river rose to be 1 meter deep in the lodge where previously we had eaten breakfast that morning, an unimaginable volume of water after unusally torrential rains. You will see on one of the photo's, taken from the Lodge, that I would have been up to my waist in water, astonishing.

Because of the low water level navigating down the river becomes very difficult for the captain of our vessel. Giant rocks rise out of the water like satanic icebergs which have to be negotiated with great care. On our way we call at a local village where they weave silk on tiny looms and distill there own version of alcohol from rice, all of which is for sale to passing tourists. Later on we arrive at Pak Ou caves where, for centuries, people have come to pray to Buddah and leave gifts in the form of Buddah images and now there are countless thousands of icons in the caves to see and wonder at.

At last we arrive in Luang Probang where we leave our boat and head to our hotel but not without an exciting climb up dozens of steps that would put any London underground to shame, but no escalator. The low river level has meant the local, self appointed, porters, young and old, male and female, have a tough climb with our bags to the waiting taxis above, but not without a dollar per bag. 8 dollars for the tuktuk and on to the Villa Santi for 4 days.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Breakfast in the lodgeBreakfast in the lodge
Breakfast in the lodge

Imagine the river a meter deep in here then look at the next picture to see how far up we are.
View from the lodge View from the lodge
View from the lodge

At this point I would be up to my waste in water if it was August 2008
Satanic rockSatanic rock
Satanic rock

Some of these rocks were enormous and right in the middle of the river.


30th January 2013

Looking good
Day 3 is starting to look like you are really with the locals. Scenery looks amazing but wouldn't fancy doing a 10k in that river!! Very windy and rain here!!
30th January 2013

Oh! Where's the quiz?
I look forward to the daily quiz. Can we have two tomorrow please? Hope you haven't pocketed any of those icons....

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0553s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb