Another village trek


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
March 22nd 2005
Published: January 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

On a morning trek
Uphill, downhill. Hot, hot sun.
Look! A waterfall!

Morning trek through the hills and villages. Walk through the rice fields where it was pretty steep in some areas and very dry. Had two slips because it was so dry. Or perhaps I just don't know how to walk because my sandals seemed like ice skates! Ultimate goal was to see Kusai Waterfalls. Awesome tiered waterfalls. I went in for a small dip and it was oh so refreshing. There were tons of food vendors along the way to the falls trying to get us to eat at their stalls but we wanted to see the falls first and just power walked on by. They were pretty much all offering the same stuff. Fried rice or noodles. The best was the guy selling "dumplings". They were more like steamed pork buns...oh so yummy!

After lunch we paid a visit to the Asiatic Bears that were rescued on the Laos/China border from poachers. We dropped off some bananas but couldn't give them directly to the bears because their caretaker was not around. Then we walked over to see Phet ("Diamond") the tiger that was also rescued from poachers. We bought some ox meat for her to eat and fed her too. She's pretty tame but it was still a bit scary feeding her.

In the late afternoon I went on a handicraft tour. Basically made stops at the silversmith, blacksmith, weavers, papermakers and lao lao makers. Nothing too exciting. It would have been better to go on a handicraft tour in the morning since most of them had stopped working by 4 in the afternoon (especially considering that most of them start work around 5AM...)

For dinner we headed over to the Night Market where we had an 80 cent dinner (and that included a Pepsi!)

The Hive Bar was the last thing on our agenda...nothing too exciting to report from there.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.193s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1194s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb