Luang Prabang: Days 1-3


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
January 10th 2011
Published: February 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Laos LadyLaos LadyLaos Lady

She lived opposite the guesthouse and just sat watching her chillies dry out all day
It was great to arrive in Luang Prabang after travelling for such a long time, but finding accommodation was proving difficult. We seemed to be looking in the more up-market end of town where the rooms were nearly 100% more than what we had been paying. Luckily, we bumped into a lovely couple; Rog and Dee from Kent, England who are on a 2 year RTW trip by cycle (CRAZY) and they pointed us in the right direction of more budget accommodation, we agreed to meet up once we were settled.

We found somewhere that wasn’t great but hey it was a bed for the night and more importantly we needed food. We found a food night market with stalls selling all you can fit on your plate buffet for 10,000 Kip (about 80p) so again greedy Dim was in his element!! We did a mini interview for Japanese TV, about how good the food was and they made us put our thumbs up and make appreciative noises – I’m sure you can all picture the scene, very funny and who knows maybe we are now famous in Japan!!

When we woke we decided to move guesthouses and found
FountainFountainFountain

huge tree?!!
a lovely family run one, it was very welcoming more of a home away from home. We booked our visit to the elephant village for the day after tomorrow, our much appreciated Christmas present from Kerry and family (THANKYOU!!). We spent the day just relaxing and having a little look around, we arranged to meet up with Rog and Dee tomorrow.

The next day we hired bikes out and toured around the town looking at a temple or 20 and getting glimpses of Laos life; the people seem so friendly and although there is a lot of poverty people seem happy with their lot. We met up with Rog and Dee in the afternoon for coffee and carrot cake mmmmm. It was nice to exchange travel stories and listen to how far they have come on their bikes; Dee had an accident not far from Luang Prabang, so they had been in Luang Prabang much longer than anticipated; a pissed up driver drove into her and after seeing the pictures she is very lucky to be here. After spending 2 hours chatting it was time to say goodbye and time for us to think about tea. We ate at a lovely restaurant in the evening where you cook your own bbq on the table, it was delicious and the garden area was lovely.

Then it was an early night so we could get ready for the elephant village tomorrow – EXCITED!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Me and HennyMe and Henny
Me and Henny

She looked after us at the guesthouse and was a lovely girl.
Food dryingFood drying
Food drying

we weren't really sure what these were but they looked like popadoms.


3rd February 2011

good stories!!
Hey guys, nice to read such good stories from you. Lets skype one of these days a want to listen to your stories. Kiss also for you Dim.
3rd February 2011

CUNTS
good to hear from you, we are missing you!! we have not had great access to the internet but will be in touch on skype soon hope your both having a wail of a time xxxxxxx

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb