Feeding Monks


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
January 10th 2011
Published: January 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Luang Prabang is an interesting place. Some love it here; while others may find it a bit boring. I think it’s a beautiful place with many nooks and crannies all over! For instance, a few of us girls went to lunch at a restaurant called Utopia. After a walk around local people’s homes to get there (which of course is a tad devastating)… there is a vision of peace and beauty. There are lounge cushions all over an old built bamboo deck (no jumping as you might plummet down into the Mekong). I am surrounded by backpackers of all ages simply reading, writing and having some good eats (YES – some good westerner style food…. Who knew Mango and tomatoes were so good together!). The views were extraordinary from this spot. The area offers accommodations for both backpackers and luxury seekers… I really think it has it all!

In the afternoon we took a trip to the Kouang Si Falls. The drive was another dose of reality as we saw many small villages, the babies running around without clothes, random fires, and local farmers. Our tour guide Tuey explained how villages like these bring in about $300/family for the entire year! The roads were windy and some of the bridges were meant to hold your breath while you hope you don’t fall through them. The waterfalls were pretty. The water was super murky and being the safety gal I have been for the past few months, I decided to just dip my feet in. Some folks swung on ropes like Tarzan.

My night was pretty tame… I went with one of the girls to a place for dinner with local dancers and Buddhist type music. It was really peaceful and nice. I will say it again, the Laotian food – not so good. Markets and rest before our 5:30am wakeup call!

In Laos, there are many, many Buddhist monks. The reason for this is because many of the families can’t afford to raise their children, therefore the boys are sent to be raised as monks. If I had to guess, these children are the tamest children in the entire world!

There is a ritual known as offering alms (food) to the hundreds of Buddhist monks. People line up and sit on their knees while the monks walk by with large bowls. You place food (sticky rice in most cases) into the monk’s bowls as they go by. The monks only eat until 3pm. Breakfast is so important and this ritual ensures the monks eat! As we got to our street while it was still dark out, it was strange at first. As the sun comes up, the monks start walking towards you. There aren’t many facial expressions. I tried smiling at the monks, but they just keep walking. The monks ranged in age from around 5 years old up to 60 or so. It was a phenomenal experience to be part of this. Of course some of my group complained as they were hung over (they should have skipped this all together in my opinion). Buddhism is a phenomenal faith (religion AND philosophy). It is one of peace and happiness. Folks spend time at temples (for weeks on end) to meditate… even if you aren’t Buddhist, most are usually welcome to come and clear their heads at most facilities.

A long drive is ahead of us to Vang Vieng. I was told this is going to be the hardest drive of all as the roads are terrible and super windy….


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0653s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb