and the bus went Luang PraBANG!


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
April 10th 2010
Published: April 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We spent our last day in Vang Vieng just chilling out and resting Dans leg. Got up early the next day to get to our 10am bus which was a small tuk tuk ride away. I had a chicken sandwhich before I left as a sort of brunch as I knew we wouldn't get there till 4pm.... Dan had a fruit salad.

Got on the bus and found a seat at the back with plenty of leg room for Dan but unfortunately the bus was completely full for a change and we ended up being squished in between a bloke from Oz and a smelly German girl. I have never known a bus ride like it. My arms were hurting by the end from holding onto the chair in front. The whole way was just mountain roads and one of our bus drivers (who was 16) decided that overtaking on narrow bends was a good idea and liked to drive quite fast. its a good job neither of us are travel sick.

It was half five and we still hadn't arrived when the bus broke down about 10km outside of Luang Prabang. The driver free wheeled it down the steep part of the road and pulled in to fix it. I was so glad i had that big fat chicken sandwhich.

Turns out the fan belt had gone and after a lots of spanners, hammers, climbing underneath and a back up fan belt being given to us by another bus we were on our way again!

Finally arrived and had to undertake the task of finding somewhere to sleep at 7 o'clock at night that wasn't more than 100,000kip. Found somewhere eventually and after changing rooms twice (broken door knob/smell of damp) we could dump our stuff.

Went out for dinner but was more thirsty than hungry - even Dan found it hard to finish his tiny plate.

Bumped into some friends I had made in Kanchanaburi which was cool and found out that Jude Law and Sienna Miller were staying in town (confirmed by another person too)... very exciting celeb spot. As Catrin said "he's an idiot but really hot". Hopefully we will bump into them too....

Today we have had Dans leg cleaned at the hospital by a 10 year old doctor. Made us appreiciate how good the hospital in Vang Vieng was. It is our last night with the German girls so will probably head to one of the trendy bars around and look into one of the tours for tomorrow.

Hel x x x

Dan Comment for the Day - consider this something similar to Jerry Springers Final Thought.

Contrary to the above thoughts, we better not run into Jude Law. I can't stand the man!

Leg feeling fine, but as the cut is right on the left kneecap, the flexibility at the moment isn't fully there - some might argue it never really looked there anyways; due to my antibiotics, I have not been able to sup on a Beer Lao either, and they look so ice cold, although this is no bad thing I also hear you say.

There's alot to be said about Laos. Beautiful country with very welcoming people - although by the end of this whole trip, if I never hear the words.... 'ahhh tuk tuk?', 'you big man' or 'massaaaagggeeee' again, I'll be a happy guy!

Sue and Dave; it sounds as if you're missing us at quiz. Although, I'm sure we'd probably have made no difference whatsoever.

Bangkok in a few days - I'm taking the chance to wear my red t-shirt now, before we go back!

Advertisement



10th April 2010

Hiya
Hi Both Sounds like an interesting part of the trip!! I think I will stick to comfort and safety. Hope journey back to Bangkok goes OK and keep the red shirt well inside your bag!!! xx
10th April 2010

Thanks for the up date - Waiing for Dad and Jenny to come. Grandma

Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0249s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb