Waterfall and Bear Sanctuary


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
January 22nd 2010
Published: January 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Made the most of a later start - iPod on and chilling out. A Tuk-tuk arrived at 11:30am to take us to the waterfalls. An hour’s ride through the countryside provided a fascinating insight into Laos’ somewhat timeless agricultural production. Many people were out working the fields, nearly all with traditional head-gear. We passed through the odd small village where produce was being sold, a quite laid back affair with stallholders nattering to one another and occasionally engaging with the odd passer-by.

The waterfall was quite spectacular, a 500m high drop into bright blue pools. Those of us that did the walk to the top were rewarded with a cooling paddle in yet more tranquil blue pools that glistening in the lemonade light penetrating the surrounding forest.

The bear sanctuary was a large enclosure in the forest with two viewing platforms. Around a dozen bears, all rescued from the fate of bile extraction for Chinese medicine, seemed very happy with their lot - one or two certainly playing up for the cameras!

Grabbed lunch from a market stall right by an enormous trumpet tree - the banana fritters can be highly recommended - then back on the tuk-tuk for the bum numbing return!






Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 22; dbt: 0.116s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb