Watching the Superbowl in Laos: Live at 6:30 AM Monday Morning! - Luang Prabang, Laos


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
February 2nd 2008
Published: August 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Watching the Superbowl as a resident of Luang Prabang, was a bit different than watching it back home in the States. First off, the game aired live at 6:30 AM Monday morning. One restaurant in town opened early to play it, on a big projector screen in the dining room. I was one of fifteen Americans who showed up, half of whom went straight for the beer, the other half sticking with coffee. I chose coffee until about 8:30, when I realized the game demanded booze, in spite of the early hour. The subdued mood started to change at halftime too, with people cheering louder and talking more, ordering sports-snacks like chips and hamburgers for breakfast, getting revved up about the game.

When I arrived at the restaurant it was dark; the next time I looked out the window I saw novices and monks collecting alms in the dusk. My activities felt a bit incongruous with my location, but hey, this was a special occasion, not an everyday occurrence.

The game was broadcast by a Thai station, so all commentary was in Thai, and there were no commercials. At the crushing finale of the game, an American man who lives here pulled out a bottle of homemade Lao Lao, the local moonshine. I commiserated the loss with those who were celebrating the win. One never knows how much alcohol each bottle of this stuff might have, but ten shots later, it didn't really matter.

We continued the commiseration/celebration at the American's home, and oh, what a morning! Seated in a circle on pillows on the floor, we talked about America and Laos, drank Lao Lao, beer and ate noodles, fruit and nuts. Two American guys, in Lao for only a few days on business, got a big kick out of drinking and eating Lao-style, and learning more about local life. The party lasted until 2 PM, as the businessmen had a flight to catch at 2:30 and the hosts little girls would be home from school soon. Very drunk and a little ill, I caught a tuk-tuk to my guesthouse and passed out for the afternoon. Not a culturally-enriching day, but not ever day can be when you‘re living abroad, and an interesting experience nonetheless.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.284s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0991s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb