A Few Favorite Activities in Luang Prabang, Laos


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
June 9th 2008
Published: August 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

People are always asking me to recommend activities for their visit to Luang Prabang. Here are a few of my favorite things, although I have no doubt there are dozens of others youll find on your own if you just explore.

Wake up around five and dress conservatively. Head out to any main street to watch the ancient tradition of alms giving, tak bat, as novice monks walk the town to collect sticky rice from villagers. Remember that this is a religious ceremony and should be treated as one. Keep far back from the alms giving, do not speak, take photographs only from afar and with unobtrusive equipment. Do not participate unless it would be spiritually meaningful for you to do so, and in that case do so only with instruction as to how to act and what to wear. It is a beautiful and unique tradition that can be easily enjoyed by watching from a distance.

Head to Big Brother Mouse, the childrens book publisher, from 9-11, Monday through Saturday, to assist with casual English practice. Many teenage boys show up to practice their English with the travelers that stop in to donate their time. Read books with
Temple InsideTemple InsideTemple Inside

Temple Interior
the kids, play games or just talk. The kids love talking to foreigners in this environment and youll love the easy chance to interact, too. Buy a bunch of books if you can, to donate to Lao children as you travel through the country; or, donate money so the staff can bring books to Lao kids in remote villages.

Walk up to the motorbike bridge on a hot day and join the kids playing underneath in the clean, refreshing Nam Khan River. The currents strong and you can float all the way down to where the river meets the Mekong River.

Around five, head to the soccer fields on the main road to drop in to play with the locals. But watch out, these boys are serious about their soccer so you better be good!

My favorite thing to do is to head to a temple, around 5:30, when the novice monks and monks do their evening Pali chanting and prayers to Buddha. Sit quietly and unobtrusively in the courtyard with your eyes closed, meditating, or just enjoying the peaceful sound. Be sure to focus on your blessedness to be here in this wonderful environment. Try a
Temple InteriorTemple InteriorTemple Interior

Temple Altar
different temple everyday, as the harmonic sound varies from temple to temple, as do the extraneous noises of the neighborhood and the beauty of the temple grounds.

Climb up Buddhas Imprint, an overlook on the side of Mt. Phousi, to chat with the novice monks who frequent this breathtaking spot, hoping for such impromptu English lessons. Learn not just about the life of a Lao novice monk but about the varied backgrounds and experiences of these young Lao men.

Stop by My Library, a wonderful library created to give kids a place to learn independently and according to their own interests and talents. Donate a camera or an educational book here. Kids can also come here to use computers to learn to type or to practice their English language skills. Spend time reading with a child or helping with their studies.

Take a boat ride down the Mekong; there are many underemployed boat drivers wholl be happy to negotiate a price with you. The massive brown river at the heart of the region is flanked by lush green jungle, tiny farming villages, and in the dry season, many islands.

Not to be missed is the food
Photo 4Photo 4Photo 4

Funny Little Dried Animals for Sale at Market
alley near the main intersection in town. The pho stand at the end of the alley is the best in Southeast Asia, better even than Vietnam, the home of pho! A new stand at the very end is selling delicious sauteed Chinese dumplings. Not to be missed are the fresh spring rolls, papaya salad, grilled chicken and fish, pickled greens, sweet soy milk. New to the alley is a young woman selling lobster-shaped bread. The alley is packed with authentic Lao foods; come here every night to try something new and don be shy.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Photo 5Photo 5
Photo 5

The Meditation Temple
Photo 6Photo 6
Photo 6

Sticky Rice Drying on the Street
Photo 7Photo 7
Photo 7

Dog Napping on Temple Steps


Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.017s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb