Amazing Adventures in Laos


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
July 31st 2008
Published: July 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post


WARNING: Long one!!!


First night in Van Vieng was pretty uneventful... I ordered my meal with the girls in a restaurant where you sit on cushions and they play just Jack Johnson (I loved it) and they forgot my order after we waited for an hour. I hit the street for noodles and had to throw them out. Attempt number 3 at supper.. crepe with peanuts and chocolate. I wanted a drink to make up for my lack of supper and we ordered a bucket of moijito. It tasted like black licorice.. Went to bed early b/c we booked an all day event starting at 9.

A group of 16 (including Susan, Danielle, Jess, Renee, and I) of us piled in the back of a truck. We all got a tube (basically a biscuit to float on), a life jacket, a number on our hand in case we got lost and a wet bag. First we headed to the caves with our 3 guides. The first one was elephant cave. It had a buddha and was nothing special.

We walked to the next one and what a surprise. We had to scale up muddy rock formations and ladders and then descend into the cave. We all had flip flops on and were slip sliding everywhere. AMAZING!! We also, had a head lamp. Basically, we wore the huge batteryaroundour neck (had to stay upright so no acid leakage) and a tiny bulb on our head. Well, Renee and I had to hold the bulbs in our hands... haha

We went deeper and deeper. It was super cool. There were a few spills but no injuries. Jess was covered with mud from head to toe. When she walked out in her bikini one of our guides said "Spectacular" I almost peed my pants.

We washed up and had bbq chicken and veggie skewers and rice and baguettes (Danielle was super excited!!).

The next cave was Water Cave and b/c of the monsoon it was filled with water and you could only see the top. We went swimming and discovered the strenght of the current. We did a few cannonballs to warm up for rope jumping in the Mekong later. (It was not really the Mekong but a tributary.. aka Mini Mekong)

Next. we walked through a village and along sticky rice fields. It was beautiful scenery.

Tubing was next. We got suited up and sat in our biscuits. It was super fun! You float along with the current and locals 'fish' you out so you can come into their bar along the river. Our first stop had a super high rope jump. After a slushy drink I was ready.

It was incredible and pretty high up. You had to stand on the platform hold on to the 'trapeze like' bar and rope, bend your knees and step off. Swinging was such a thrill and when you're ready you let go and you get fished back in!!! Maybe, I'm overcoming my fear of heights??

We hit the tubes again all holding hands and living the life. Our guides kayaked around us to make sure we knew where to go. We didn't quite make it to the fishermen the next stop (basically we floated on by, giggling and not knowing what to do). Our guides kayaked to us. Danielle had to grab on and they towed the 5 of us in. Hilarious!! We had a crowd watching and calling us lazy... haha

So, a few more drinks and to the rope again. Danielle and I did a double trapeze event. We counted to 3 but I didn't walk off. So, my body kinda got pulled along and I made a few weird grunts until I caught up and was in sync with her. We couldn't stop laughing and swung like 5 times before letting go.

Around 6 pm (it gets dark by 7) we left to go to the end bar. Again, we floated on by (had to make emergency roll offs) and our guide made a sprinting run and then dive after Susan so she didn't float away.... (of course I'm exagerating Mom...)

That night we hit the town. Had some drinks and made it back to our $2 a night bungalows in a monsoon.

The next day was travel day for 3 of us to Luang Prabang. I was sooo hungover for first 4 hours. By the afternoon I was coming around and could enjoy the beautiful landscape.

I instantly loved this place! Its so beautiful, a UNESCO World Heritage site. Their a monks in orange robes everywhere, little coffee shops, an authentic night market.

We ate on the Mekong, booked our trek for the next 2 days and had an early night in a nice room with a hot shower for $3 each.

There were 3 of us, an American guy and our Laos guide for the next 2 days.

Our trek started out with a little walk through sticky rice fields, had to cross a tricky river etc. Then it started to get muddy, then more and more.. we were all slipping and sliding everywhere..



Then we had to walk through mud up to ankles and in rivers.. There were a few spills but nothing serious and we were all covered in mud .He told us to watch for leeches.. eekk! Then, I got 2 small ones on my ankle.. I tried to get them off .. super hard.. finally and good bit of blood down my leg.. I felt tough!!! haha



We walked through a few secluded villages.. sooo neat!! Wooden houses and all animals lived underneath, dogs, cows, chickens, pigs .. all together.. the gals took pics of kids and I of animals... It was incredible to see how they lived..



We got to place and were shown our rooms.. a wooden hut and a thin matress on floor with a mosquito net.. thats it..



We had to wash up in a concrete dark room and pour bucket overhead. We ate sticky rice and veggies and cabbage soup for supper. opps I brought banana bread... emergency food for NIk..



It gets dark early, around 7 oclock. We had only light in whole town. One overhead over our table. We borrowed cards and played a bunch of different games. The whole town had 1 tv/music in the store/room/house right across from our hut. Everyone pays 1000 kip (like 10 cents) to watch it.... A lot of the town were crammed in there.



We hit sac aroudn 10 and when opened door saw hugeeeeee bug run across our bed.. Agghhwe squeeled for Chris to get .. thank god he did. But, all 3 of us piled under mosquito net and didn't come out until am.. had bad sleep... all my bony parts sticking in wood floor..



Got up at 7 am.. and hike again.. Beautiful day!! Not as muddy.. Climbed up to 700 m to a Hmong village.. we bought stuff to help support the community and hung out.. It monsooned rest of day.. but hiking still wicked!



Then we stopped at a waterfall for a refreshing swim. We got a speed boat (shaped like a row boat at home) and then truck back to Luang Prabang....

We climbed again to see Phu Si. A buddha like monument to watch sunset (not very good one) over this beautiful city..


We hit up night market and all made purchases... Then it monsooned again... so we went home at 11pm. The whole city shuts down around 11 30 pm anyways.

Got up at 6 am to see the monks...The walk around and collect food etc from ppl bc that is what they live off of. We missed them. I think we took their exact route but was like 10 mins behind...

Anyways, doing some relaxing around the city today. We leave for Vietnam today at 445.

Nik





Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0544s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb