Another lazy and wonderful day in Laos


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
April 18th 2008
Published: April 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post


I think that the photos may speak louder than words, and I’ve almost run out of words for the moment.

So here are a series of photos from our day. Steve and I got up early to see the monks of Luang Prabang make their 6:00 am walk through town to collect alms, and then we wandered back to the guesthouse through the market and the main street.

A nap followed, and then breakfast, and then general hanging around, followed by lunch. We hired a tuktuk to take us 25 kilometers outside of town to the Kuang Si waterfall, where tourists and locals alike were swimming and picnicking and jumping into the water from a long rope swing. The water was the loveliest shade of sea foam green, clear and cool and refreshing. It was the perfect way to pass the hottest part of the day.

The evening was reserved for more Happy Hour drinks and snacks at the same bar we had enjoyed the night before, and then we returned to the night market. The children selling bracelets and other trinkets found us again and entertained themselves off and on all evening by pestering and joking
From monk to monkFrom monk to monkFrom monk to monk

I can only guess that the monks in the background were visiting from elsewhere...
with us, sneaking up and tickling us, and generally being cute. In a jewelry store we had visited the first day, Steve bought me a beautiful necklace I had admired - strung with silver charms in the Hmong tradition, to bring good luck. It will be a beautiful reminder of this trip.

We have all really enjoyed Luang Prabang, as we have enjoyed every place we’ve been. This town has a laid-back and relaxed charm unlike any of our other stops, and I can easily imagine returning here someday and spending many days lazily reading and people-watching and sipping cocktails.





Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



23rd April 2008

Fabu!
Jess, your tales of travel are just wonderful. Thank you for putting so much effort into entertainment for others. John

Tot: 0.271s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1236s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb