The Royal City


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
October 24th 2007
Published: October 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Day 16 - Tuesday 16 October

Although the boat wasn't until 9 am we were up at 7 thinking we'd get there early so we could get the comfy seats. However everybody else had had the same idea as well so we were stuck with the wooden benches for the rest of the day.

The scenery down the Mekong was great but after 9 hours of sitting on that bench my bum was really beginning to ache and I couldn't wait to get off. (Yes it was definitely the seat and nothing to do with any ladyboys you perverts).

We arrived in Luang Prabang early evening so spent the rest of the night exploring the city and checking out suitable venues for the football tomorrow. The good thing about Luang Prabang is that you can walk around the whole city in 10 mins.

Day 17 - Wednesday 17 October

Woke up to find there wasn't a cloud in the sky and it was 30 degrees (Hope your all jealous now). After having a few days off it was time to start being cultural again, so the morning was spent visiting more temples and the golden boys and girls inside them. That afternoon we went to the old royal palace home of the royal family until they were overthrown by the communists in 1975. Unfortunately your not allowed to take any photos of inside the palace so there are none for me to show, but although good compared to Laos standards it's nothing compared to a western palace.

As it was getting close to sunset we then climbed the huge hill in the middle of town where your supposed to get a great view of the sun as it sets over the hills. Although tiring (must have been over 100 steps), I must admit the view was worth it.

After a relaxing dinner it was time to watch the England v Russia football game. I couldn't believe we lost. If we don't qualify I'll be glad i'm still away when the finals are on.

Day 18 - Thursday 18 October

Bit of a half and half day today. We spent the morning being cultural and took a trip to the buddha caves a few k's north of the city at Pak Ou. Lots of old Buddhas from various old dissused temples are stored here, for a few quid it's worth doing but you do spend half a day travelling there and back just to spend half an hour in a cave looking at Buddhas.

On the way back we stopped off at a village where we got to sample the local homebrew. After sampling the red wine (ok) the white wine (horrible) it was time for the whisky which we were informed was 50% proof.

Russ claimed to have a dodgy stomach so wouldn't touch it but guessing it was the same as what we had drunk in the jungle trek back in Chiang Mai I thought why not. Quite a few of the villagers had gathered round as I was ready to down my shot. I was right and downed it no problem. The villagers looked quite surprised I actually liked it and quickly gave me another shot. I then caved in and bought a bottle which led to me being given another two free shots and it had only just turned 11am.

As Russ was now feeling ill he stayed behind whilst I spent the afternoon topping up my tan and took a trip to the Kuong Si Waterfalls. They really were amazing and definitely worth the trip. Beneath the main fall are various lagoons where the water colour varies from emerald green to pale blues. Great to have a swim in and admire the scenery. There is also a bear and tiger sanctuary which is pretty cool.

After having a relaxing evening buying a few gifts from the local night market it was time to call it a night. It will be a shame to leave tomorrow as Luang Prabang is a great place, very relaxed, no hassles and the local kids are great all running round shouting Sabaai dii (hello) to you.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



26th October 2007

"my bum was really beginning to ache "
genius.... Glad the trip is eveything you hoped it would be :-)

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb