Luang Prabang


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
July 28th 2007
Published: November 30th -0001
Edit Blog Post

Another 6 hour cruise up the Mekong brought us to our next stop the previous capital of this wondeful country 'Luang Prabeng'. This was to be our home for the next 3 days so we tried to take our time and make the most of the place. A city deep in ancient culture and colonial rule. The people again are very friendly and the heat wasn't too bad due to the storm that hit last night and kept us all awake. Honestly I have seen storms but nothing like this the thunder echoed through the river valley and left me deaf for some time not to mention the torrent of rain flooding down through the town.
Luang Prabang is nothing that I expected very built up and modern with an old touch to it. We took a trip to some local caves that encorporate some thousand budda statues. The highest cave was 54 metres deep and in complete darkness so a borrowed torch come in handy. The evening was a relaxing time enjoying a meal by the river and some Beer Lao before venturing to the Hive bar in town to get battered. This was the best example of western influence as this bar reminded me of Magaluf but with 'Beerlao' and some funky lounge music to chill out to. A very dodgy tuk tuk ride took us back to the hotel where a couple of us stayed up and enjoyed the quiet of town. One of the girls thought it would be funny to chase a Gekko down the road which ended up getting us lost and for several hours. Don't ask me why I blame the booze..... As if I would.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0226s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb