lovely luang prabang


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
March 20th 2007
Published: March 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

he ho! so how it going
well so the last time i wrote twas after two days of throwing myself up and doown some serious Serious rock, my god the bruises - we think there is something in the water or maybe just the weather or food- but we are as multicolored as beads in a bead shop. But not sore. So, the day after.
Well, so we braved the sore muscles-which were not that bad surprisingly! Hoped on another tuk-tuk to the river and hoped in a kayak. We went into a couple of caves- did the caving thing-they were huge, we, the bright sparks, brought no torch, so we did it by candlelight! Romantic u may think, no. but huge caves - where the people used to hide from bombing. Laos is the most bombed country. We just about managed to squeeze through the tiny exit hole, gathered another few bruises on route- and kayaked off to a bar or 2 for a beer (beer lao-all good) and some swinging into the river and home. So was great. To top that off- as it was paddy’s and all- we felt obliged, and oh so patriotic as we were away from home, to get fierce drunk and laugh the night away.
So that we did! We beered and whiskeyed the night away. The whiskey is something like 60/70% so - as you can imagine, the affects were fairly instant and lasted a long time! But all was good; a fun night was had by all. We were out with people from the climbing and kayaking. Sunday was recovery day, resting and having a Laos massage. Twas like getting rolled through one of those old fashioned clothes dryers, you know, like two rolling pins on a leaver. They use a similar thing here to roll the sugar cane (round bamboo like shape) into a flat piece. The lady I had, pummeled and poked me and swiveled me round. Felt like her bean bag, but helped with the muscles even though she managed to give us a couple of extra bruises! Vang Vieng was prob or favorite so far so many things to do, twas lovely, sitting in the bars/restaurants on comfy cushions drinking beer on a comfortably warm night while watching shrek or some film. The people were lovely, specially missed by Chris, for one reason or another!
The next day we were off on our 7 hour bus ride-turned our to be 8 ½ - to Luang Prabang. My kingdom for a gear box! on every bus ride we’ve been on, the drivers have totally struggled getting into gear, coasting up or down hills and round corners, the poor aul bus smoking and groaning, getting jolted out of the seats because he couldn’t get in gear and decided to go from 3rd or 4th back to 1st , I’m wondering is it because they are used to driving mopeds or just bikes (lots here). so this journey was no different, except for the hairpin bends, the whole way. Seriously, we went up and down and around and around and around and up and down- you dizzy looking at that yet? We were, certainly. Maybe a straight patch for 100 yards. The scenery was lovely, the road curved like a snake between the limestone mountains and hills, like tongue and groove wood flooring. Surely roller coaster rides were developed based on this stretch of road- bar the upside down thing. Honestly, it was probably my least favorite of the bus journeys, too hot and kinda brings on that nauseous feeling. Again, we passed through many clusters of shacks, hanging on the edge of the road. About half or 1/3 of the house was on the road, the rest on stilts on the edge of the mountain. Some were so slanted id imagine if you turned over in bed, you’d end up rolling to the other side of the room. Listening to Andre Bochellii (can’t spell), looking at the children playing, all smiles, waving at the bus, people swimming, talking, it seems like such an easy going existence. Less is more I think. They all seem so happy with so little, and as the music changes I reckon we should be a whole lot more grateful and happier at home, especially us, we defiantly have been on this trip. (who thought Def Leppard could be so thought provoking!)
We arrived, yea! Found a place to stay and wandered the famous night market. Oh what punishment, so many nice things. The lines of cloths, ornaments, paintings, silver jewelry and light shades, all gorgeous. Its difficult not to buy much, we cant really though, I’ve already purchased two light shades and a wall hanging, and I don’t have a light or wall to out it on! Sisters, I blame you for this obsession with furnishings!
so today, our first day here, we headed off the see the famous waterfall. tis a tuk-tuk away. as we got there, the sky was growing increasingly more orange and it was rather dark. we though nothing of it and headed off walking. a little to eager i think. we got to see the bears in (in cage) on route - was good actually. they look happy and have a large area to live in. again it was even darker. a little dissapointed at the weather, we continued on. there was also a tiger, (a rescued one, like the bears) but she choose to hide out in her hut. so we arraived at the waterfall and at that instant- oh isn't it lovely we said- bang, and the heavens opened and we got soaked. we dashed for cover like the other people there are hid out in the toilet. what fun. soaked trough, we waited a while uintil the thunder and rain calmed. we would have loved to be out swiming it it and all but we had our bags with out precious cameras. so we waited. it died of a wee bit so chris managed a few pics while i sheltered her camera with a leaf. we couldn't go far cos bits of the tress were falling down. and whatever about ourselves, we were not getting our cameras and all our photos squished! saw the bears again, still the tiger refused to come out and see us. probably thinking we were such fools in the rain! so off home we went to shower off the wet and cold.
So im munching the way through a lovely mars bar and think it is probably more exciting than this entry, however, tomorrow we are off on a two day “mahout experience and training course” where we are going to learn how to be an elephant care taker (mahout). I’m totally excited. We’ll be bathing, feeding and riding them in the jungle. This is just a 4 person trip, so will be intense. I hope it lives up to my expectations. It seems a place where they are very well looked after and are just for this tourist job (there are only 6 elephants) but its using elephants retired from logging and benefits the local community-employment wise.
So ill be off, hope I get some good photos.
Paul+ rosin b thanks for lovely comments
Also if you get to my blog, click on my name at the top of the page- brings u to a kinda home page- click on Gallery and my few pics. It shows two pictures; double click on each one to view the lot.
So toodles
Il mail after the heffalump experience
Gracie


Advertisement



21st March 2007

garvey seeks mahout!
just read your entry and i'm on ebay now looking to buy myself an elephant so ya can take care of it for me when ya get home! will look at your pics later! KEEP SAFE! x

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0264s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb