Laos - Luang Prabang


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
November 22nd 2006
Published: November 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hello!

We've been in Luang Prabang for a few days now and are really impressed so far! The town is very laid back and while there are still the inevitable backpacker hordes (me and Dave consider ourselves to be *flashpackers* don't you know...) it has a fantastic attitude. There is a real difference to Thailand - both in terms of more laid back people and less complete ripoff artists.

Spent today walking around the town and saw some incredible temples, had a drink looking out over the Mekong river and had the best chcolate cake for a very long time (hurrah for French colonialists)

The 'hotel' we're staying in is quite special though. No more fancy Bangkok suites for us. Oh no. Instead we can only describe the $10 a night room as a cross between a coffin and a communist interrogation cell. Wood lined, no glass in the windows and a bright neon bulb that only seems to cast shadows that is the only light source! What really tops it off though is the cat that seems to live outside and spent the entire of last night screaming. If it was a human it would be contained for the safety of everyone around it. The Lao people are also early risers and it would seem the cat annoyed more than just us - at a little after 6am a group of local residents decided to frighten it away by hammering on the corrugated iron roof outside our window with bricks. I don't know about the cat but it scared the bejeesus out of us I can assure you.

Tomorrow sees an early start as we set off for a place called Muang Ngoi Neua about a 4 hour bus and one hour boat journey away (our greatest challenge may be pronouncing the name of our destination - typical conversation goes a little like this:

Us - can you take us to Muang Ngoi Neua?
Them - Where?
Us - Muang Ngoi Neua?
Them - Eh?
Us - Muang Ngoi Neua (now with a slight shout)
Them - I'm sorry, where
Us - Muang Ngoi friggin Neua!!
Them (now consulting) - ooohhh, Muang Ngoi Neua?)

Apparently the language here is tonal and the word Soi has 11 different meanings depending on how you say it so I expect with every attempt we are randomly asking for things like a basket of fruit or advice on the safest way to peel a dragon fruit (for the keen among you, this was the unidentified fruit we had in our room in Bangkok!)

However, I digress - the best accommodation in the village is $2 a night. We have high hopes that the crown for worst accommodation may be snatched from the jaws of the Levady in Luang Prabang...

Off out for dinner now so better head off. Hope you're all well and see you in a little under 3 months time!!

Lucie and Dave
xxx

Advertisement



23rd November 2006

Re: "flashpackers"
I'm afraid the term "flashpackers" rather brings to mind the image of the two of you roaming around in dirty macs and not a lot else, frightening unsuspecting South-East Asians, and on on that basis I would be grateful if you would stop using it. Many thanks. M PS Dave, I think it is important for your constitution that I keep you informed of United's results. After our promising start in the Levein era with the wins over Rangers and Killie, we lost on Saturday to Dunfermline. Oops.
23rd November 2006

Luang Prabang
I feel like I'm getting obsessed with the weather but - pouring with rain here on a dark and dismal morning. Only good thing is that temperature now rocketing - 7 degrees this morning as opposed to 2 degrees last few days! No doubt your weather is about 25 degrees warmer. Glad you are meeting the local wildlife - our own bit of wildlife is now settling in and causing enjoyable chaos! Hope you enjoy your palatial suite at your next stop - sounds interesting, will there be a bed? Have fun. Love Mum x

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 18; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb