Journey south


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » South » Tha Khaek
December 13th 2005
Published: December 17th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Sunsets and the Mekong and Beerlao all seem to go together, whether I be in the north or the south. First picture of the place that sounded less savoury than other Lao delights, yet has its own beauty away from town roads as this first snap shows.

Travelling south has meeting very friendly people, especially children who are very happy to call out whatever English they know, be it "hello" or "thank you" or ... "i love you!" ... so I use this opportunity for a little language lesson and take a photo or two. They are usually a little shy but not for long ... as soon as they see their image, they become quite giggly and are ready to pose again. In one town someone has taught them to shake hands. Somewhere else it was a high 5, and in others the peace sign! Children everywhere, riding too and from school, in the fields or at work with parents are very happy to cheer, wave and call out to we falang(westerners).

From Vang Vieng to Vientiane, to Paksan, then on to Tha Khaek by local bus. Sitting with folk who offer to share their food with you, and their children who play "eyes" all along the way ... a very gentle people who are frequently eager to share something about themselves with you ... makes for a warm welcome, if a frustrating communication experience... Had scrambled eggs for breakfast, Lao style - with vegetables and some hot fish sauce garnish, before hailing down the bus from the coffee shop on Route 13.

Moving south through Paksan, and then to Tha Khaek I happened along a lovely guest house. Here I met some French travellers cycling aroung the world, as well as a French doctor spending five months in Asia before her final semester of study, and an attorney from Maine (originally). She and I were both interested in exploring a cave in HinBoun province called Tham Lot Kong Lo. Therein an adventure began!



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



17th December 2005

brilliant ...
Hey Mary, sounds wonderful - lovely to meet people and take that adventure - seems the risk aversion is being shed - enjoy every bit of it a melbourne christmas seems so dull in comparison... cheers ailis

Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb