One week on ... cycles, ettiquette and life on the road


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » South » Tha Khaek
January 24th 2007
Published: January 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

On the bikesOn the bikesOn the bikes

Heading into the karst landscape east of Tha Khaek. The roads were rough and dusty but the scenery and friendliness of the locals made up for it.
Well, it's Wednesday night. We're in Tha Khaek. About 330km south of the capital, Vientiane. I only have few minutes but hope to update this more tomorrow or maybe the next day...

WE have spent the last 3.5 days on motorcycles or more correctly, step-through 110cc motorscooters. It was great. Travelling through the Lao countryside of limetone karsts, open fields, small villages and very friendly locals waving at us or offering directiones if we looked lost or tired. It was certainly challenging (esp. if you saw the motorcylces we rented!!) but certainly worth it.

Uh oh, time to go for now. And this keyboard is too hard to manage. More from Pakse - further south - tomorrow. Thanks for your comments! Hope all is well at home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

River in MahaxiRiver in Mahaxi
River in Mahaxi

The guesthouse wasn't so flash but Mahaxi was an interesting little town and our first stopover on our 3.5 day ride.
Lak SaoLak Sao
Lak Sao

We really liked this town. It was high up, surrounded by some amazing hills and felt like a bit of a frontier town.
Near Kong LoNear Kong Lo
Near Kong Lo

Kong Lo is a 7km cave navigable by canoe - you really are putting your life in the hands of your guides. This is near the entrance.


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0384s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb