Laos: the land that Covid forgot?


Advertisement
Asia » Laos » South » Tat Lo
May 15th 2020
Published: May 15th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Late morning on the 26th of April sat on the balcony with much needed coffees and angry hangovers we witnessed six youths hauling a laden sheet, field stretcher-like, through the waist-deep river. What the partially floating load comprised was unclear. On reaching the monastery it was carried up the waterside steps before an assembled crowd. Was this part of some festival, maybe a covid-lockdown-d... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 62, Displayed: 21


Advertisement











15th May 2020

I really enjoyed your update...
and the pictures of water buffalo brought back memories of my childhood living in a similar village and riding them.
16th May 2020

Buffalo
They are fussy creatures... The cows literally beg for our stripped corn cobs and mango skins, the buffalo turn their backs. As for riding them, I think we're getting too heavy with all the baguettes... Best wishes, A&A.
15th May 2020

Language and tones
Thank you for your great blogs. You are fortunate to be having such an adventure. I lived in Thailand and Laos for a few months some years ago - teaching English and French - and well know the dangers of getting tones wrong. Every time I went to the market, everyone fell about when I asked for bananas. Turns out I was asking for penises:). Take care.
16th May 2020

Oeerrr.....
Ha ha.... Good for you in your attempts at Lao and for entertaining the locals...
16th May 2020

Buffalo are fussy but docile...
getting on their back can be a problem if they turn their head to see what is going on. I almost lost an eye from a long arched horn. I also wouldn't be able to ride on one now!
17th May 2020

Testing
...or the land without adequate testing?
18th May 2020

Testing
Yes but, no but..... Testing is indeed low. However, the only getting tested are showing potential symptoms and of 4000-odd tests there were only 19 positives: less than 0.5% prevalence = 10x less than UK, France, Spain, Italy et al......
19th May 2020

Re 18th response...
Doh... That should read 10x less than Australia... and.... 20x less than Europe.
20th May 2020
Lychee/Rambutan? No idea....

I LOVE rabutans!
All that tropical fruit and fabulous Loa food on tap? I'm now officially jealous of your life in Laos! Not to mention all the love from furry an non-furry beings... although coming across two elephants without their humans would have freaked me out somewhat :/ We were in Laos in January, and moving to Luang Prabang at some point in our life is on the cards :)

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0334s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb