Friday May 29th 2009 4000 islands


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » South » Khong Island
May 29th 2009
Published: June 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Friday May 29th 2009 4000 islands
The others that had come to the island with us left Don Khong for Don Det this morning but we decided to hang around. Mary stomach took a bit of a turn so she wasn’t feeling the best so we lied in til about 12. We were going to do a little boat trip out on the river or rent bikes or something for the day but in the end we just decided to go for a walk down the riverbank through the farm lands. I am glad we stayed on Don Khong, its very very quiet, only a scattering of other tourists even though there are a fair few big guesthouses, it is just low season. You really just have the island to yourself and locals and there multitude of free roaming animals. The place is like a big farm yard. If you are not tripping over a chicken or being stared at by a cockerel you are being followed by about 10 ducklings. And then there are all the buffalo just chilling out in the rice fields and the cattle walking up the middle of the road. It is all so rural here, a few little shops, the locals timber and bamboo houses and rice fields for as far as you can see over the flat landscape.

We walked for about 2 km down the track and after saying Saba di to every friendly local or bunch of children playing their favourite pastime of throw the flip flop the heat got the better of us so we headed home. In the evening the hotel beside our guesthouse received a coach load of Chinese tourists to remove our mantle as the only tourists on the island and they cranked up the music and the Karaoke for a few hours. We headed to another guesthouse for some dinner which had some very dubious looking chicken in it and then did the only thing you can do on the islands even on a Friday night went to bed early and watched another movie.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb