Phonsavan, Laos (Bomb Capital)


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » East » Phonsavan
April 23rd 2009
Published: May 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Phonsavan, Laos is a town in eastern Laos that is in one of the most heavily bombed areas in the world. During the "Secret War" in Laos (1964-1973) the United States dropped over a million metric tons of explosives on this poor country. An estimated 30% of the bombs failed to detonate leaving unexploded ordinances littering the land. These bombs are still responsible for many deaths every year including children who tend to gravitate toward the ball shaped cluster bombs. Many farmers here have to risk their lives when clearing land to farm, because the other option is starving. The stories of what the people of this region have been through is deeply disturbing.

Despite the fact that my government is resposible for creating this situation, I couldn't have been treated nicer by the beautiful Lao people.

Last fall over 100 countries signed a treaty to ban cluster munitions because of the long lasting impact on cilvilians and farming. The United States refused to sign the treaty and has used these same cluster munitions in Iraq.

All over Phonsavan you see bomb scraps in front of restaurants and hotels. It is almost a theme of the town. It is a strange feeling to be sitting next to a 6 foot tall bomb casing while having dinner with a half a grenade on the table for an ashtray.



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1011s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb