First two weeks in Kazakhstan


Advertisement
Kazakhstan's flag
Asia » Kazakhstan » East Kazakhstan » Almaty
September 5th 2010
Published: September 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post


So, we've now been in Almaty for a little over two weeeks. They've been fun, predictably a little scary, and very interesting.

Our temporary apartment was much nicer than expected, so much so that we have asked if we might rent it long term. There are three bedrooms, 2 of which are ensuite, the third we use as an office and guest bedroom should anyone choose to visit! We have views into Almaty and up over the mountains which are still snow-capped in Summer.

Almaty is full of parks and places to relax. We live just off a popular street called Dostyk which can be followed down into town. The town centre is only 30-40 minutes walk (downhill) and is lined with nice restaurants and coffee shops. The costs of these places are varied, but mainly in line with the UK. We hope that in time we can find some less well known and more interesting places.

The children have started at Kazakhstan International School. They both seem to have fallen into it amazingly well. Jamie has asked his teacher for football to be included and was very pleased to spend his PE lesson doing what he loves! They both have Russian lessons at school and are currently learning the Cyrillic alphabet. The school is currently building a swimming pool so hopefully next Summer they will also have this facility available.

Last weekend we went a little way into the mountains. It seems quite a popular thing to do. There were many families making fires whilst their children played in the stream. A little like Cardingmill in a way. We then stopped for some Shashlick which is a Kazakh style fire cooked meat on a stick. A little like kebabs in a way. We sat in a traditional Kazakh tent which is round with a peaked top. The boys found sitting on the floor on cushions great fun.

Unfortunately the following week declined with viruses for Devon and I whilst Adam made business trips to Aqtau and Atyrau on the Caspian from Tuesday to Thursday. I'm pleased to say yesterday we were all back on our feet and had a fantastic day at a place called Koktobe. To reach this we travelled up the cable car, definitely not my favourite thing, to the top of a nearby hill where Koktobe is located. It's a small entertainment area with pony and camel rides, a mini zoo, some small rides, swings and restaurants.

After coming back downt he cable car we took a walk into the centre of Almaty which as I have said is full of beautiful parks and most of the roads are tree lined. A well deserved lunch at the American Grill and Bar (yes, I know, very traditional!) followed and a taxi home to bed.

Today we are going North to Kapchagay which is on a Lake. I'll let you know how we get on!




Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0372s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb