Touring the Classic Japan (Part 4)


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan
September 2nd 2011
Published: September 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

The most memorable event for me on this tour was meeting new friends. At beginning we were all shy strangers, as hours goes by and chatting endlessly we all became very good friends. We chatted easily and joked around and by day 5, we started to tease one another like long time friends. It was on this day we had the biggest laugh of our tour. After breakfast we all gathered on the bus getting ready to visit Kyoto. We noticed two of our male tour mates have yet to come down, after 20 minutes we got worry. Our tour guide went to find them only to return laughing his head off. Apparently our 2 missing male tour mates got the room with joined bed and early that morning one of them accidently drop their camera between the beds and needed to get housekeeping to separate the bed.

Kyoto was the ancient capital of Japan for over a thousand years. It wasn’t till late 19th century during the Meiji restoration did the capital moved to Edo, present day Tokyo. Kyoto also has the most number of temples and shrines in Japan. Comparable to Tokyo, Kyoto is a polar opposite to its present day counterpart. While Tokyo has grown to a huge metropolis, all aspect about Kyoto remains mostly unchanged. First stop of the day is at the Nara National park, inside the park is the world largest wooden building and also home of the Nara Daibutsu, an enormous bronze Buddha status. Also at the park there are herds of deer freely roamed around the park and temple grounds. There are vendors on location that sells treats for the deer. Once the deer sense a cookie in your hand, they will come charging at you. Trust me you can’t outrun them; I tried, they got a hold of my shirt and won’t let go. I gave them all the treats at once in order for me to not get a wardrobe malfunction on the sacred temple ground. Noon meal of the day was a taste of the renowned Kyoto style cuisine. Kyoto style cuisine is light in flavor. Meats are rarely deep fried, seafood’s are mostly grilled and tofu is always freshly made.

After lunch we visited the Nijo Castle, the personal resident of the Tokugawa Shogun. It was also here at this location back in the late 19th century where the Shogun officially abdicated and thus returning the power to the emperor of Japan. Like all temples and shrines in Japan, this castle ground is treated with great respect. We weren’t allowed to take pictures while touring castle interior. While touring the castle we had to wear soft sandals and practice a strict code of silence. There are mannequins in the different room of the castle, portraying the day to day life of the inner court of Tokugawa shogunate. We got glimpses of the etiquettes of feudal Japan, the symbolic meaning of each gesture and the formality the servants and courtier must adhere to in the time of feudal Japan. Walking along the path through the gardens, we came to a bridge over a small creek filled with Koi, with gentle breeze blowing through the trees, it never seized to amazed me how these royal resident are simple but yet dignified and greatly signify the Japan mentality and culture.

Gion is the arts and entertainment district of Japan. If lucky you will catch a glimpse of geishas walking along. Traditional tea houses still exist in the various side street of Gion. Just be careful though accidently walking into this tea house can cost you a lot of money. During the evening free time we were given a map to explore the vicinity and various shopping streets. Our hotel for the night is only few blocks away. I’m not much of a shopper decided to find myself a little café, I sat there smoking one cigarette after another, watching the passerby rushed by me. I wanted to tell them to slow down and enjoy the beautiful scenery of the city. But I think to myself they probably already do.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0707s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb