Peace Rally and Okonomi- Yaki


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan
May 26th 2009
Published: July 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Bottle On BoardBottle On BoardBottle On Board

Someone tried getting on when the train was at the station so they put the bottle between the doors before they closed. Unfortunately for them, the conducter refused to let them on. Oh well...
Day 4 was an interesting part of our trip. Our Study Tour shys away a bit from very touristy sites and focuses on every day Japanese life from a first- hand perspective. The highlight of the day, by far, was Noda sensei's sister's concert at a peace rally in Akashi. Japan has a clause in their Constitution stating that there should be no armed forces. However, the tides are starting to change and the government wants to create a defensive force in the case of an attack (probably from North Korea). This rally was to speak out against this amendment and keep the Constitution the way it currently is. Chiaki Noda, Noda sensei's sister, played her harp. She definitely has mastered the harp and it was a treat to hear her play! Wow! The songs she played echoed peace and tranquility. (She is actually one of the best harpists in all of Western Japan).
Furthermore, before we went to the Peace Rally, Noda sensei, Takenaka sensei, Krista, Melissa, Chris, and I went to an Okonomi- Yaki. This is a customary restaurant found throughout Japan; the customer orders their food, the waiters bring it to your table, prepare it on a hot stove, and you do the rest. It is like a hibachi, but a hibachi can mean different things (different styles of cooking). The pictures show the food we got and it was delicious! Some of us ordered a melon soda. "AWWWW"-- best soda I have ever had. The meal we had is a lot like what most people eat for their meals in Japan. It was fascinating to try a new cuisine that most Japanese people eat each day.
I had to ask Noda sensei (by the way, "sensei" is a Japanese term that is given after a person's last name who is an educator or teacher) what Japan's relations are like with North Korea. North Korea is right next to Japan. Dr. Noda said how Japanese people dislike North Koreans. There has been a lot of problems between the two countries in years past so tensions are high. In addition, many Japanese people are furious with North Korea for sending a test missle up a few weeks ago. Japanese people are very proud of their culture and heritage and don't like when other's impose on them. So far, this trip has been awesome!


Additional photos below
Photos: 60, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0195s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb