Valentines craze and pastry in Japan (14.2.09)


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan
March 15th 2009
Published: March 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

A lot of things are different in Japan and so is the celebration of Valentines. It is not the flowers that are given, but pralines and chocolates. And not the men are supposed to surprise the women, it is opposite. The women have to take care of their loved ones and not only this. Also male office colleagues are treated with some sweets. So there are a lot of different pralines on offer. Expensive ones for the darling and cheap ones for the co-worker. All department stores gear up with sweets and display an amazing variety of chocolates. All are nicely presented with many smiling girls behind the counter. Yuki was one of them and had a two week part time job. A friend told me that on Valentines the office girls went around in the morning and offered out of a box a sweet. The packing of the pralines is very important in Japan. It always amazed me how delicate the packing was. Each praline is individually packed; the box often contains a description with pictograms how it was made and the background of the company. Sensitive pralines are double wrapped and given in a cartoon containing ice to keep them cool. What a perfect service. Women should not be disappointed by the Japanese Valentines custom. The Japanese invented the “White Chocolate Day “ which is exactly one month later. The women receive at this day white chocolate pralines from the men.
What I love in Japan is the aim to copy, but also to improve. My favorite pastry shop “Cozy Corner” offered delicious éclairs from France. When the strawberry season started, éclairs in the flavor appeared. The taste was delicious with a filling just made from fresh strawberries. I have been many times in France. You can get coffee, chocolate and custard. That’s it. Why are there no flavors of the season like peach or plum éclair?

Practicalities:
Strawberry éclair 115 Yen



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0669s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb