Christmas Break in Shimoda


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan
January 30th 2006
Published: January 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Ryokan's OnsenRyokan's OnsenRyokan's Onsen

This is the onsen room at the Ryokan (Japanese style inn) where I stayed. It's a mix of natural spring water, and plain old hot water. Very relaxing and warm. Saps you of all energy, I couldn't even move my arms enough to dry off afterwards.
During the Christmas break, I went to a small city about 4 hours south of Tokyo, called Shimoda. It's right on the water, and surrounded by mountains.

Shimoda is famous for being the port where US Navy Commodore Matthew Perry docked in 1854, to commence negotations that led to the Treaty of Kanagawa, which opened trade between Japan and the US. I think.

There's not a whole lot in Shimoda. The main draws are a nice aquarium, good scenery, a bunch of small shrines, and some onsens (hot spring baths). There's also a boatride on a big black piratey looking ship, that is a replica of the one Matthew Perry came in.

All the restaurants and food stores close very early, around 8:00pm or so, which is a huge change from Tokyo. It's very quiet, and the streets are almost empty. It was pleasant.


Additional photos below
Photos: 74, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

RoomRoom
Room

The room at the Ryokan. Small, but nice. The wall at the far side opens to a little enclosed balcony thingy. There was a TV and a mini fridge to the left. The other bed belonged to a guy named Jon, from Ottawa.
RyokanRyokan
Ryokan

The Ryokan.
UFO CastleUFO Castle
UFO Castle

I dont remember much about this place, other than reading that it's a shrine for UFO's. I have no idea what that means.
WaterWater
Water

Nice.
Pizza BunsPizza Buns
Pizza Buns

These were delicious. Little breads stuffed with tomato sauce, cheese, and maybe some bits of meat and onion. They were 50% off, which made them taste even better.
HarbourHarbour
Harbour

Many boats. They catch fishies.
Perry MonumentPerry Monument
Perry Monument

The little box on the left has a flame that never expires.
Little IslandLittle Island
Little Island

Nice little island.
Little Island with bridge.Little Island with bridge.
Little Island with bridge.

Nice little island with bridge. On it, there is a shrine and a gravestone for a German fellow.
TreesTrees
Trees

I thought these looked neat. Just below them, there were some discarded clothes that reeked of excrement.
Mikan DrinkMikan Drink
Mikan Drink

Fantastic mikan (mandarine orange) drink. There were many chunks of orange floating within. Delicious. There's also a grapefruit drink that contains grapefruit chunks.
BridgeBridge
Bridge

Bridge to Island.
Statues and FlowersStatues and Flowers
Statues and Flowers

Nice flowers. I can't remember if they were real or not.
GravestoneGravestone
Gravestone

Aforementioned German fellow.
Turtle 1Turtle 1
Turtle 1

There were a bunch of turtles in a tank outside the entrance to the Aquarium.
Turtle 2Turtle 2
Turtle 2

I thought it looked almost alien.
AquariumAquarium
Aquarium

View after entering. You can rent the little boats and paddle around a small enclosed area.


30th January 2006

It's about time you sent something out. Thought you got jumped by some thugs in japan and sold to the black market or something...haha... on a serious note...good to see you are enjoying yourself.

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0661s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb