Land of the Rising Yen


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan
October 30th 2008
Published: October 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We knew travelling in Japan would be expensive but didn’t expect that the world finances would crash while we were here. Laurie has been feeling rather bleak; why didn't he buy US dollars when $1US=$0.90AUS?? Jasmine is more of the opinion that the global financial situation is very much out of her control; whereas things such as global poverty and world peace are much more in her portfolio. Meglamania comes in many forms.

Before we left Australia the Aussie dollar was worth 103 yen so Laurie thought we could get away with a reasonable lifestyle and enjoy Japan. The trouble with the dollar started when we were in India but it held up well compared to the rupee. So we could afford an occasional luxury stay in good hotels and taxis to take us places.

But when we arrived back in Singapore and we saw the news about the financial market meltdown and the aussie dollar falling even more. When we got to Japan the Aussie dollar was down to 66-67yen. That meant that things were 50% more expensive. We have shortened our stay in Japan from 6 weeks to 4 weeks and will spend more time in the UK and Canada.

We are finding accommodation for around 10,000 to 12,000 yen (between $120 to $140 for the three of us). In Hiroshima, where we are now is a Japanese style room, with tatami mats and thin futons and thick doonas and also ensuite. We are using doonas as extra buffering, and a light blanket so reasonable comfortable. The benefit of the Japanese style room is that one packs away the bedding during the day and has a bit of room to lounge about, typing blogs on in room internet (it was worthwhile bringing a laptop).

Good dinners can be found for less than 1,000 yen. Beer from the vending machines cost 270 yen compared to 600 in the bar though one rather misses out on atmosphere. Kym likes sushi which he buys from the 7-11 shops or other convenience stores like Natural Lawson (I kid you not!). Cost is very reasonable 300 yen (but hip flask of whiskey costs less than that - 270 yen!). Unfortunately Jasmine does not like whiskey and wine is not so commonly available. Coffee ranges greatly and the search has been for 300 yen -- quite possible but depending upon exchange rates this is nearly $5! We have also found the 100 yen shops; though like Australia mostly has things from China!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.233s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0209s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb