Exciting cycle town Tokyo


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo
February 10th 2009
Published: February 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Tokyo is not just one big town instead it is an assembly of several city districts of very different nature and appearance. Tokyo center itself means everything that is within the Yamanote circle line or at least within easy reach. Someone could vaguely compare Tokyo to Berlin. It has also real city center, but different areas (Stadteile) of very different historical and cultural back ground. Tokyo People talk about meeting in Shibuya for night life, Ginza for high end shopping, Ueno for museums, Asakusa for Edo style, Shimbashi for Yakitori or Shinjuku for eating out. Each district has a maze of narrow side streets between the main streets with small and low rise houses. The Sky scrapper Tokyo exists only in few areas and is more the exception. This side roads offer all kind of surprises of small shops, old houses, gardens or temples. It is a haven to cycle around by bike, to explore each area and to get a feeling for the special atmosphere. The first thing we did in Tokyo is to get used bicycles from a shop and to zoom around in the maze of Tokyo. It took us some time to find the best and calmest streets to get around and to destinations, but meanwhile we manage fairly well. Most inner city areas are within 30 min reach and it is not so much difference to go there by train or bike. Best of all - the weather is in winter mostly sunny with pleasant temperatures around 15 C and perfect for cycling. The cycle rules are another fascinating thing. It is allowed to ride on the pedestrian way and even to go reverse directions. Hardly anybody bothers if you swing in circles between bulks of commuters coming from the nearby train station. It is accepted and even the police on bikes does it. What is here allowed, is strictly forbidden in Germany. There are even cycle lanes marked at each traffic light crossing with two way traffic. More complicated is the parking nearby busy train stations. An almost impossible thing and bikes are even towed away by a special police force. This is the only thing to pay attention to, but it is no problem in the quiet side streets.

Enjoy the impressions of riding bicycle in Tokyo!


Practicalities:

2nd hand bike 4000 Yen



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.369s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.2184s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb