Tokyo


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo
August 18th 2008
Published: October 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Getting home part #1 82 secs
2: Getting home part #2 68 secs
As well as going to Tokyo to climb Mt Fuji we wanted to see all the sights as well! We left Morioka VERY early Thursday morning and made our way by Shinkansen to Tokyo. 2 1/2 hours later we were there. It's busy! It's the second busiest station, with Shinjuku being #1. Over 3 million people a day pass through it! Inner Tokyo and greater Tokyo have a population of around 58 million people! We made our way through the busy subway to K house backpackers where we were staying. I have to say I was quite impressed with the subway system. We never waited more then 3 minutes for a train at any one time. Having said that we needed to catch about 3 trains each time we wanted to get somewhere. There were about 15 different lines to catch in greater Tokyo. Each line had a different colour which made it easier to navigate! I think we had it down pat by the time we left! I loved Tokyo, but it's definitely somewhere for a holiday there's no way I could live there, it's just too busy and too big! We visited Ginza and went to the Sony building - it was ok nothing to brag about. We also got to visit Tokyo Tower! That was amazing - you had full 360 degree views of the whole city - there were buildings and lights that seemed to go on forever. We really wanted to go to the top of the Tower but there were just too many people. It would have had to be the hottest day on record! With about 90% humidity! Afterwards we headed to Shinjuku (my favourite town by far in Tokyo) there were lights, music, clubs and people everywhere just like in the movies. We got lost coming out of the station because there are SO many exits! We ended up catching a taxi which pretty much took us just around the corner! We headed into the main hub where all the clubs were. We ended up at an Irish bar playing darts. I'm sure there was lots of awesome dance clubs around but we were in awe just walking the streets drinking with the people and looking at the amazing lights all around us. It not illegal to drink in public here and you can pick up a few cans of just about anything from the local convenience stores which were every 50 meters or so. I was surprised because of how many people there are I assumed the subway would run 24/7, well it doesn't and we managed to jump on the last train home. (Well at least we thought it was the last train home) We ended up at some station and were told to get off the train. We flagged down a taxi who managed to get us back to our hostel safe and sound. The next day we'd booked a tour to take us around the city, probably the best idea as we got to see and do so much more then if we'd tried to do it all ourselves! We visited the famous Senso-ji Temple, Tokyo’s famous futuristic city - Odaiba, a cruise along Tokyo bay, the famous Tokyo Tower and heaps more. We also took a trip into Harajuku - where even nothing is out of the ordinary. People dress as doctors and nurses and colour animate cartoon clothes. We went down the main shopping street and it was unreal! It was one of Tokyo's highest fashion district - something which I know little about (fashion that is) of course while we were there we couldn't resist and got some pretty awesome sticker photos! By the end of the trip I was glad to be back home again in Morioka!


Additional photos below
Photos: 99, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

HarajukuHarajuku
Harajuku

Main shopping strip
HarajukuHarajuku
Harajuku

There was actually a sign saying 'No pictures Fuck off" I didn't see it! WOOPS!
ShinjukuShinjuku
Shinjuku

Renee & me


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb