Konnichiwa (hello) from Tokyo


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo
February 27th 2008
Published: February 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

tokyotokyotokyo

busy night in Shibuya... great shopping and restaurants. The usual for Japan!
All the rumors are true... Japan is just as crazy as we thought it was. I was surprised at how excited I was to be back in a city... the ease of public transportation in Tokyo is amazing! We stayed in the area known as Asakusa, which is pretty low key, but had the cheapest hostel in the whole city... wicked spot where we bunked with some Sweds. The hostels in Japan are designed so you room with people in a dorm style, which is such a great way to meet people! We spent about 3 days exploring the city, which we realized is not enough time. It's like giving you 3 days in NYC... there's always something around the corner to do. We visited the major spots and Harajuku was probably my favourite. We went on sunday which is when the local teens go out dressed up in their outrageous getups... bands and musicians play all over the streets, and of course the most amazing shopping. Really great thrift stores, boutiques, as well as a really cheap area which is packed with locals looking for good deals. We came across this rock/punk shop that was underground and behind an ally...
asakusaasakusaasakusa

temple right in Asakusa area of Tokyo where we stayed
the ceiling was covered with autographs of some famous punk artists (proud i knew a couple) as well as rock bands and celebrities.

Tokyo is so diverse... we also went to Ginza area which is their version of 5th avenue in NYC... expensive stores like Prada and Coach, and the most amazing department stores. If only we had these back home... the department stores are at least 6 levels, plus a few floors in the basement... you could spend the day just in one department store! the malls are even crazier... i can't even begin to explain the shopping culture in this country. I went shopping in a mall in Shibuya that was womens only... about 10 levels of clothes and shoes... but yet again my western feet were too big for any cool shoes.

From Tokyo we went a bit north to Nagano province, and stayed in a small town called Hakuba. We got off the train and looked around and laughed because there was 10 feet of snow in some areas... it felt like we had been dropped off in northern ontario! it was wild that there was so much difference only a couple hours away,
toilet toilet toilet

best surprise so far... many toilets are heated, spray perfume or make flushing noises for those times when you just might need it...
but the town is full of amazing people who are so eager to help you. The town was where the skiing portions of the 1998 winter olympics was held which is pretty great... it was amazing to just wander and be surrounded by mountains. So unexpected after weeks in the sun and even one day after Tokyo! From Hakuba we're moving south... Japan is undeniably one of the coolest countries I have ever been too... can't wait to see more.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

harajuku streetharajuku street
harajuku street

me shopping on Harajuku street... most amazing crepes filled with ice cream and chocolate. what more could i ask for?


7th March 2008

only you would take a picture of the toilet! haha who am i kidding, so would i miss you!

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0327s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb