Tokyo - day 4


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo
February 4th 2008
Published: February 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

One of the things that had come highly recommended to me, and much to Steve’s horror, was a visit to the local fish market. As it was our last morning in the city, it had to be today, but after having our first proper nights sleep where we wearnt awake by 4am, we had to will ourselves to get out of bed. However, the experience was well worth it.
The closest market to us was at Tsukijishijo, which was only a 15 minute walk from our hotel. When we arrived we stumbled across a couple of stalls selling small fish and couldn’t work out what all the excitement was about, however, after persevering and digging a bit deeper, we soon realised what it was all about.

Basically it’s mad. You see about a million men wheeling and dealing in fish, and they even have a tourist map of the area. The fish were huge and the auctions really funny, with one man stood on an upturned crate shouting goodness knows what and loads of others stood around with signs on their heads, obviously as a means of identification.

Despite the early hour (5.30am) you had to be really alert because of the carts that they speed round the market in, it’s mad. We even got a ride stood on the back of one when we stopped someone to ask for directions, no health and safety there!!!

We were both amazed how it didn’t smell fishy at all until, that is, Steve realised that his trousers had been trailing along the floor and had picked up some nice fishy water….mmmm…he smelt lovely for the rest of the day.

As we write, we are currently sat updating the blog in Starbucks (yes I know, not very cultural, but it’s good coffee) and there is a man asleep opposite who is proper snoring. He has even put a cloth over his eyes. If we were brave enough we would take a picture but we can’t stop laughing. No one else is even batting an eyelid though, it’s so normal. There are other people fast asleep sat up in their chairs who look like they are about to fall over. It’s so funny.

Tonight we fly to Brisbane so will be heading off to the airport late afternoon. We had booked a shuttle bus back to the airport but we
Frozen fishFrozen fishFrozen fish

bit off putting seeing all these frozen fish being dragged round the floor..uuugh
got a call this morning to advise that because of the snow yesterday, which incidently there is no trace of today, the bus isn’t running. Apparantely there is ice on the roads??? So we will be taking the train instead.

Overall, great city, mad and so so stylish. Would definitely come back and highly recommended.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Going once.....Going once.....
Going once.....

going twice - sold to the man with the funy sticker on his head


17th February 2008

Fishy!!!!!
Well from looking at the photos I can smell the fishiness from here. Very like a place me and Rob went to in the maldives. I hope you managed to see them gut and skin one-Agggggggghhhhhhhh!!! Too funny Steve posing a peace sign next to three giant fish with the biggest eyes that ever were- the eyes taped down and so very dead!!!!My those teeth are looking mighty white next to those mighty white fish Steve!!!

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0706s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb