Land of the Rising Sun- Tokyo


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Ikebukuro
May 9th 2008
Published: May 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Train Trip from Airport Toyko 5 secs
2: "Bullet" Train 14 secs
Girls in TokyoGirls in TokyoGirls in Tokyo

girls in tokyo
Japan. What a country, I love it as much as anyone can love a country that is.

The Japanese people are the friendliest people in the world. I am trying out a little Japanese. I shocked the air hostess when we landed by saying Thank you in Japanese, perhaps may Westerners are too lazy to speak the lingo.

Upon our arrival we checked in at our reasonably priced accommodation in Ibeburkuo. It was located close to Shinjuku only 3 stops on the JR Yamanote Line. This line circles the city, so is ideal for getting around. We spent our first day getting are bearings. We stumbled across a beautiful tranquil garden. The sign said Japanese Garden, which I thought was funny since we where in Japan. This was a gem to find. I would recommend anyone who travels to this area to visit, even if only to escape the crowds for a short time.

On our 2nd day we ventured further afield. up at the crack of dawn to beat the rush hour. even at 7am it was still busy. Ikebukuro is the 2nd busiest station in Tokyo. We headed to Sensoji Temple the largest Buddhist temple in Tokyo. There
No smoking signNo smoking signNo smoking sign

People can't smoke in some parts of the streets
is a market street leading up the the temple, selling everything from biscuits to Samurai swords.

After the visit to the temple, we headed out to the Studio Ghibli museum in Mitaka. The museum gives you an idea as to how much work goes into each film they produce. Every single frame is hand drawn, which is a very rare art today what with CGI and computers. One 60 second film can contain many number of still images. I got to "meet" a big Tottoro. Studio Ghibli stays through to Japan as the little girl in My Neighbour Totoro looks just like the children do here, with there hats that they wear to school.

That night we experienced an earthquake. Can you believe it? It happened at 1.39am, I only know the time cause I saw the news the next day. It measured about 5 on the rictor scale. check out the link below.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601101&sid=adDs18yLbz7o&refer=japan

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=quake-shakes-tokyo

The next day having braved the earthquake, we headed outside of Tokyo on a day trip to Mount Fuji or Fuji San as the natives call it.
It is one impressive site. As you can see from the photos we took the peak is still snow capped. We headed up to the 5th level, taking in the splendor as we drove up the twisting road.
It was quite cold. There is a Shinto Shrine up there hidden behind a number of tacky souvenir shops.
We also collected a free lucky bell ,which the Japanese walkers put on their walking sticks, when they climb to the Fount Fuji summit in July and August, to ward off Bears that are in the area.

We traveled back by "bullet" train which was very quick, but sadly when we arrived back in Tokyo it was rush hour. We had to brave a packed train back to our accommodation, which was fun until we tried to get out at the 2nd busiest station in Tokyo. I thought I was going to lose my slip on shoes, what with everyone pushing to get off the train. Word of warning please do not get on a train in Tokyo at rush hour, no mater how badly you want to get back to your hotel.

All in all Tokyo was as I expected it to be. Full of friendly people always willing to help.


Additional photos below
Photos: 64, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Japanese Garden Japanese Garden
Japanese Garden

Or should that just be garden
Northern TokyoTemple TokyoNorthern TokyoTemple Tokyo
Northern TokyoTemple Tokyo

Senso-ji Temple Hozo-mon Gate
More Paddy FieldsMore Paddy Fields
More Paddy Fields

On the way to Mount Fuji


Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.089s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb