Tsukiji Fish Market


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Ginza
November 9th 2013
Published: November 10th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Tsukiji Fish Market

Early morning, rise and shine! Following my obsession with all things food and food related, I got out of bed this morning at 6:30 and went to the Tsukiji Fish Market. If it comes out of the water, it is for sale here. It is more of a gigantic wholesale market machine. And incredibly amazing. I started with a sushi breakfast at one of the many tiny sushi restaurants in the small market area. Since the fish comes right from the market, you can't get it more fresh. By far the best sushi I have ever had. The flavors! Then I ventured into the wholesale area. It is hard to describe so I have put in many photos in the hopes to give an idea of the energy and vibe that is there. Whole frozen tunas being sawn apart, fish heads lying around, octopus, squid and crabs of many sort in tanks. Clams, blood clams, mussels, sardines, flounders, blowfish, pufferfish, shrimp, scorpion fish, hairy crab, king crab, spider crab, tuna steaks, swordfish, all destined to be on someone's dinner plate! Everyone busy, I felt very much in the way. It is all too easy to be run over by one of the many carts flying around at full speed.

In other parts of the market which were more open to the public, all other kinds of food were sold. Bonito, konbu and dried fish to make dashi. Dried squid, dried fish, and Japanese pickles in infinite variety and color. Fried chicken (karaage) and pork cutlet(tonkatsu). Fish mongers selling dark red beautiful fresh tuna steaks. Tea shops, mochi made with aduki beans. In tiny covered alleys customers squeezed together tightly to eat fresh sushi and ramen on wooden counters. For a food freak like myself in was almost overwhelming.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb