Yokoso Japan


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Akihabara
August 20th 2008
Published: August 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Yokoso Japan

It was a usual day in office for myself & Sonu. She was transitioning frm her erstwhile NA Equities team to EMEA Swaps Team for a week or so. And then that day she same timed me & told me she has something very imp to tell me. We decided to catch up in Bandstand breakout area. There she told me that she was being asked if she is willing to go to Tokyo for a approx. a month long migration of Asia FX MO/Accounting functions.We both were excited initially abt the thought of she visiting Tokyo and possibly me too for a week or so.But need of that time was to arrieve at a decision of yes or no.And it doesnt took us long to decide in favour.Siddhath Dhanjani who manages Global Rates Functions in Mumbai Accounting & Control team has given me heads up a couple of days back that there is possibly a opening in Asia Rates but that time I never thought that opening will come our way.

In couple of days it became clear that Sonu was going to Tokyo somewhere around Mid March for a approx. 4-6 weeks.Since the location was new & she was going alone, we decided that I will accompany her for the initial period. We started preparaing towards the logistics. Office travel desk was taking care visa, stay & travel arrangements for Sonu. I started parallelly on our own. In the meanwhile the tickets were booked for Friday March 14th Night travel by Malaysia Airlines to Tokyo via Kualalumpur for both of us. We booked my tickets alongwith Sonu from Office travel desk b'use we wanted to be on the same flight, which was possible only if we book tickets for both of us from same agent.Though in my Japan visa we faced a few hickups but finally it arrieved on March 13th,a day before our departure.Surprisngly Sonu's papers & forex were made available to her only on the morning of Friday March 14.We left early on Friday as we have not started on our packing at all. We were in really bad shape on packing.All the days leading to actual travel date went in getting logistics in place & for some reason, it just happened that neither of us got time to pay attention to packing.And on last day it was too much to do in too less time.But still tried out best, picked up all that occured to our mind & were on our way to airport by 9.30 pm.We were nervous in auto abt reaching in time to airport as we both were well aware that we have no margin for any delays.But thank God, we finally made it just in time for the 11.5o pm flight.

We both got ouselves nice combo of window & aile seat for our first flight frm Mumbai to KL.Inflight service in Malaysia Airways is as good as anybody else.Food is decent & so is entertainment.After watching TV for some time,we took a nap. Mumbai - KL is approx.4 hrs 20 mins.The flight reached KL in time. It was monring 7 am when we landed in KL.We were hungry so we searched aroound & located Burger King.Though Sonu is not too fond of fast food joints, I sort of survive on that whenever Iam travelling abroad.We ordered for some onion rings,chickn burger & coke for both of us. View of the KL airport from the restaurant was good.After eating & some rest there we took a stroll around the airport, did some souveniers shopping.One good thing at KLIA (Kuala Lumpur International Airport) is,like many other intl airports it has free internet kiosks.Here it is sponsered by Samsung.We still had 40-45 mins before the boarding gates open, so we did some surfing before boarding the KL-Tokyo flight.This flight takes a couple of hours longer than Mumbai - KL flight.After a 6 and half hour journey we finally reached Tokyo's Narita Intl Airport at 6.30 pm. Our major worry at airport & also in Tokyo was communication. As less as 2 % of entire Japan population understands English & we were worried as to w/o any knowledge of japanese how will we reach the B site apartments? At the airport still we managed somehow.Exchanges $ for some yen.Eachange rate for Yen,$ & Rs, is $ 1 = 100 yen & 100 yen = approx.Rs 30.We exchanges $ 200 & from that purchased our tickets for airport limousine from Narita to Tokyo Station.Like any other developed nation, tokyo is very organised & disciplined.People here is extremely polite.Now that we have got all our luggage & also the Limousine tickets and there was still soem time for bus to arrieve, I decided to see things around. First thing to experiment was a automated vending machine for dispensing soft drinks. Sonu was thirsty too so I used the one besides the bus terminal & guess what despite all instructions being in Japanese, I was able to get a Water bottle.Soon the bus arrieved,its similer to Greyhound or China Bus that we have travelled in US.It was a hour long journey till we reached Tokyo Station.Tokto Stations is one amongst the handful of imp train terminals in Tokyo.Other being Ikebukuro,Shibuya,Shinjuku & Ginza.We have to get down at Tokyo Station terminal b'use that was the closest from our apartments.For convenience we were carring the map to our B site apartments & that really came in handy.When we got down at the Tokyo staion, we requested the bus attendant there to help us a cab who can take us to our destination.The attendant was like a mediator for us as he understood what we said in English.Things are expensive in Tokyo & we got a measure of that first up on our taxi travel. Distance of around 2 kms from Tokyo Station to our B Site apartments in Akhihabara costs us a whooping yen 1030 ie Rs.350.In Mumbai for same distance it would not have costs us more than Rs.15.But good thing is we reached where we wanted.The B Site Apartments in Akhihabara.It was a 16 storey apartments located a few meters away from the famous eletronic district of Tokyo city.Its famous for wholesale market of all eletronics items in Japan. Keys were kept in a locked drawer at the reception.We had the keys to that so we unlocked it & took the lift to reach 9th floor.Apartment 902 was a 230 sq feet tiny space which was split into a kitchen,Bathroom, Toilet & a bedroom & also a small balcony.Surpised to read how come so many things in 230 sq feet but thats what japanese are good at.Property is at premium in Tokyo...in fact its one of top 3 most expensive cities in the world.As a result whatever space they get they try to utilise it to the best of what they can.

we were ok inspite of long travel from Mumbai.So first thing after reaching there which I did, is to stack up our stuff in various cupboards.In the meanwhile, Sonu got refreshed & made some fabulous tea with some quick noodles.Within an hour,we were both in our bed.Next day morning, we got up around 9 am.Kitchen was furnished with a few utensils,a tea makeer & a rice maker. All of this came in handy thruout.After having cup of tea we both ventured out on our first journey in Tokyo city.Weather was cool at approx.4-5 degree celcious.We both were hungry & good thing was I have seen a Indian restaurant outside, what we we thought then to be our nearest train staion...Kanda on Yamanote line."Samosa"restaurant was owned by 2 nepalese guys. After checking the menu which was full of all typical indian meal varieties, we decided to go for Samosas.As Sonu ate her nashta, I strolled around to see if I can locate a ATM where we can use her forex card.But no luck,all of them had instructions in japanese or wheerever there was English,it didnt accept the card.We have withdrawn just yen 20000 at aiport the day before, but after looking at prices of food (Yen 650 = Rs.225), we realised that we may fall short of money.Our destination was Sunshine 60 building in Ikebukuro, which is also known as one of the most vibrant areas of Tokyo.After getting some directions from the nepalese guys at the restaurant,we crossed the road to reach Kanda train station. But not before getting a flavour of how widely known our Bollywood stars are in all parts of the world, specially Amitabh Bacchan.

At kanda staion also all instructions were in japanese. We somehow managed to understand from the station officer deputed there as to how we can reach Ikebukuro.And then as it happense on all abroad trips, rest of things were left for us to figure out.We punched the tickets out of automated vending machines of Yen 190 & boarded a Ikebukuro bound Yamanote line train from Kanda.Fortunately in train, we had instructions being flashed in English along with japanese abt approaching stations.It was our first local train travel so we did stumbled, got down at a wrong station, but finally did managed to reach Ikebukuro.And when we got out of the station, we were driven crazy.Things outside station were similer to what we have experienced at Times Square.You feel the same rush there.It was crowded & all decked up.Infrastructre in Tokyo is really really fantastic.Things are really very well planed.Inspite of that crowd,there were no signs of indiscipline there.We were carring the map of Ikebukuro downloaded a a few days back from Google by me.We followed our sense of direction & accidently came across a branch of japan bank.There was a money exchange inside as well.We immediately exchanged some US $ & got some more yens in our hand.Verified our directions for Sunshine 60 & kept on walking.Enjoying the locales we reached Sunshine 60 in 20 mins.It was sunday so everything around was colourful..the people as well as the place.SUnshine 60 is one of the tallest buidkings in Tokyo & along with a observatory also houses a International acqaurium & a huge shopping mall & food courts.One good thing at the building was availability of information desks at imp cross sections. This made it easy for us to locate the exact section where we have to go.First on cards was acquarium.We purchased a combo tickets for it along with observatory.Memories of our last visit to Singapore's underwater world were lingering in our mind,however when we actaully entered this one, we were surprised.It was no match for Singapore.It Was not bad either but we definitely didnt experienced what we anticipated.One thing that we really enjoyed though in an hour or so that we spent there, was the Penguins & Seal show along with some hot popcorns.Sonu is just crazy for popping corns and I just love the way she asks me for that in a innocent child like fashion!! I love you Sweetheart!

They have small sections for many animals there like what we have in all zoo's but lacks the space as it is created on 10th floor of that building.After acquarium, we visited many shops in the building, did some shopping.It was good fun.We have noticed that there was a Burger King outlet there so when we felt hungry & tired of roaming & shopping, we decided to have a quick bite on burgers & coke.And how lucky can we get!We got two things that we were searching just next to Burger King.The entrance to Observatory as well as Japan Bank ATM where we can use our forex card.And it did worked.We got some more money in our hands & felt happy & secured that our card was working there.After getting refreshed, we stood in the queue for elevator which we will take us to the 60th floor of this 800 feet tall building.In the elevator,once the door close, they have a light show with music so good that you never realise when you actually reached the top floor.I anticipated this as I have experienced the same at Rockerfeller Plaze in NY & that gave a good chance to recod it our camera.It was Sonu's first visit to a skyscraper observatory so she was quiet upbeat abt it.Observatory too was fantastic, with huge windows to see the places around, nice & cozy sofas to sit & relax.Like many other, it has 2 sections, one enclosed & one open.We went to both & what better time than a sunset to be at such a place.It was a wonderful experince.I have a desire that whichever cities I visit, I want to visit the tallest buildings in there.And Iam glad that that wish is fulfilled so far, be it New York,Boston,London,Singapore, las Vegas,Washington DC & now Tokyo.Its a nice feeling,isnt it?One of things we liked on top there is a medium sized illuminated heart that They have kept there for taking pictures.Like many others, we also took some cute pictures around it.Did some shopping before getting down.Back on the roads, it was even delightful now.All areas lit up.Bright lights,colourful people,Shops, big buildings.It was really a place to hang around in the evenings & good thing was we hit it on day 1 itself.By around 8 -8.30 pm we reached Ikebukuro station.Journey back home was not a problem as we both have a hang of how to travel on their local trains now.BY 9 pm we reached home.We were a bit a tired & also felt sad b'use next day we have to report in office in Marunounchi.Had a quick dinner & then we both went to sleep cherishing the wonderful day 1 that we spent together in Tokyo.

Next day was our first day to office.We got up early,Sonu prepared a nice & quick breakfast for both & we were out by 8.30am.We knew that we have to get down at Tokyo station but from there it was all upto us to find our office. Office address was Marounanchi Chome 7-2. While seeking direction, we stumbled upon a Exit named after Marounanchi.It was Sonu who got it first. We took that exit.By now we were comfortable with train systems of Tokyo.Once out we asked a few people & lucky us one of them gave us the right direction.32 storey JP Morgan office building was closer than what we have thought.Its just 2 mins walk from Marounanchi south exit of Tokyo station. and whats more we also have a JP Bank ATM located in Tokyo central post office building which was bang opposite Marounanchi south exit.The office building is occupied for the first 25 floors by many hotels, restaurants & other food joints and JP Morgan occupies top 6 floors of the building from 26 to 32.We took the elevator & reached 26th floor.At the reception, we gave name of out point of contact there, who was Eto San.After getting call from reception, Etosan was quick to arrieve at the waiting lobby to receove us. This office for sure has one of most spacious lobbies that I have seen in all the JP Morgan offices that I have seen so far.Etosan took us to the area where we will be sitting for the remainder of our visit.Krishna was already in but was busy on a call.So we settled down & once he was free went acorss to greet him.He was having a nice seat next to window which offers good view of area surrounding Tokyo station. After exchanging greetings & a brief talk, we went to our individual seats.I was carring my office laptop so access was not a problem. I kicked off relatively quickly with some help from EtoSan ofcourse on power plugs etc.After some time, Krishna came at my seat & showed me the office around. He took me to the 30th floor which is where our traders seat.Like NYC 270 office, this space was equally noisy with traders.Krishna also gave me quick insight into who's who there & where they seat.Finally he showed me the cafetaria & got me familier with food on disply there.After this quick 15 mins tour of JP MOrgan Tokyo office,we were back on our seats. Sonu was busy getting introduced to many of her trainers in the meanwhile.Things happened so fast that we never realised that it was time for lunch. Since it was day 1,EtoSan accompanied both of us to the cafetaria.I took a HOney Chicken sandwitch plus we were carring some styff from home, as we were not sure if we will get anything to suit our taste there.We had good time talking abt many things with EtoSan and not to forget a perfect place on top of the building with 360degree view of surrounding areas. I always dreamt of dining on the top of skyscrapper someday. We tried in NY, but didnt worked out.But here in Tokyo, we were going to experience it for the rest of stay in Tokyo. In fact more so for Sonu, as she will be there for more period than me. I have checked my mails already & it was too early for anybody in Mumbaiteam to come to office, so I decided to stroll around Tokyo station & my first target was Imperial Palace which I was told was not too far from our office. So after lunch, sonu went straight for her training & I went out on my city exploartion.It was a bit cold but that was managable. I passed thru some beautiful buildings decorated with Tulip flowers, before reaching the palace.Now like many other royal palaces, Imperial palace is also associated with Japanese Royal family.Even though govt affairs are managed by Prime Minister & his cabinet, King & his familiy command huge respect in Japanese people. In fact japanese are known to be one of the most patriotic citizens across the world.Imperial palace is spread over a vast area & has around 3-4 gates.But out of those,one which catches most attention is called "....".And what makes it attractive is a semicirculer bridge which joints the gate across the short ditch to the land.They say its one of the most photographed bridge in Japan.And it was truly beautiful.Nice sunshine, Royal guards standing at the gate,ducks & swans swimming in the water surrounding the palace. It was picture perfect.After taking a few snaps there, I found a road map nearby, wherein I realised that the Japanese Parliament House of Duma was just a few blocks away from the palace.What more could I ask for? I had enough time in my hands so I took a good 15-20 mins round around their PArliament area before returning to office via the palace.And this is where I got a bit lost. I took a wrong turn, though in right direction, but sort of long cut.But thanx to that mistake, I was able to enjoy the wonderful fountains which is part of Palace area. It was superbly maintained & nice hang out for a quick cup of coffice.After wakling on this long cut, I finally managed to reacj Tokyo station from there to office by around 5.30 pm.It took me longer than what I have thought.Even Sonu was waiting for me as she was also done with her work.By 5.45 pm we finished our day & left for home by Yamanote Line.We were hungry now.So we altered our plans for the rest of day..IN fact we shuffled it.I/o of going out & then having dinner. We decided to eat something first & then go out. But that proved out to be wrong. B'use by the time we were out, most of the shops in neighbouring Akhihabara were closing down.But still we got to spend some time together. It was definitely better than sitting at home.Once back we again had some food & then went to sleep.

Day 2 in office,we were more confident now of directions,our place in office & food.As day 1 boarded the train from Kanda station & reached office briskly in 10-15 mins.that day I had some GLRS sign offs to be done but I managed it finish it fast before lunch.Having food with your loved one on top of a skyscrapper is altogether a different kind of fun and we were enjoying it.I made Honey Chiekcn my usual for the rest of day's lunch in office.They used to give some potato fries with it & that with a cup of juice was good enough to help you carry on till evening. After lunch, my plan was to visit Roopangi Hills that day. As SOnu resumed her training,I proceeded towards Tokyo Station. After getting directions from the station officer what I understood is, I have to take a Marounanchi line from Tokyo station, change at Ginza & from there take on Ginze line to get down at Roopangi Hills.Roopangi is famous, rather infamous for its vibrant night life.Its was known as Bachelors area until the 50 storey Roopangi Hills came up in that area.That buildings is one of the tallest in Tokyo & houses apart from art museum & observatory many well known commericial offices.The famous Lehman Brothers Tokyo office is located there.It also has big shoipping mall with multyplex cinema.I took a round in nearby area. On my way I came across a book store. I dont remember name of that shop, but I got a really good travel book on Tokyo there.Now thats going to be added to the increasing collection of our travel books across the world.Its latest addition to the city travel books of NY,London,Singapore,Phili & Delaware.While wondering around Roopangi Hills, I realised the famous Tokyo Tower was nearby but was not sure direction.It was really good for ,e that on my way to Roopangi, at the preceding Kamayicho station, I noticed signs of "get down here for Tokyo Tower".It was around 3.30 by then which meant I had time in my hand. On my way back, I got down at Kamayicho station & followed the direction.Though it was a good half an hour walk, I finally managed to reach the tallest structure in Tokyo, which is Tokyo Tower. This tower was basically erected for transmission of radio signals in 1960's.But over the years, has now become a major tourist spot in Tokyo.I will not say that its civil engineering is at best here in terms of looks, but being the tallest in Tokyo, it attracts every Japan visitor here.Apart from Observatory Tokyo Tower also accomodates a small acqarium, some souveniers shops, a food court with McDonalds & a Guiness Book of World Record Museum. I was a bit hungry now so I went in & hit the McDonalads straight.After having some fries & a coke,I looked around. Souveniers were really good here but I decied to get Sonu here before I buy anything. The Guiness Book of World Record Museum sounds exciting, but when I actually saw it, appeared to be very small. hence I decied not to spend any money there & carry on with my exploration.By now it has started drizzling now.I was not carring any rain gear so quickly started walking back toards the station.Fortunately for me, by the time it started raining hard, I was already at the station. Way back to office was same.So I reached Marounanchi correctly, but then struggled to locate the required exit.Believe it or not, I was lost for almost half an hour before finally reaching the correct exit of Marounanchi south.That extra time made me reach office by 6 pm.Sonu was a bit angry as that day she was ready at 5 pm only. I explanied to her what happened & after hearing it she exxcused me. Now she was hungry so we took a chance at one of the basement am-pm shop.But she didnt liked what we bought.We thought it to be some sort of cake but turned out to be something different.As we reached the station,we located a nice cake shop. Sonu packed for herself a nice pastry in a cute little box & then in 15 mins we reached home. But on joureney back home that day we discovered yet another thing. The Akhihabara station was way closer to us than the Kanda staion which we were using for last couple of days.This happened accidently as that day we decided to get down at Akhihabara staion to visit Yokobashi eletronics shop,recommended by Krishna.It took us some time to locate Yokobashi, but on the way we discovered a faster way to travel.Yokonashi is a huge 7 storey eletronic shop,where one can find which we can call a eletronic item..even remotely.You name it & they have it.Krishna said that prices there are chaeper but after checking price tags of the few, we didnt thought so.But anyways we bought a converter there which was much needed to operate our gandgets brought over frm Mumbai.We ate at Mcdonalds that day as we both were tired.Back home, we only changed the clothes, I downloaded the snaps & then it was time to bed.

Day 3 in Tokyo office. I finished with my work as usual before noon.That day I didnt had anything specific in my mind.Rather i was planning for nex day which was a Japan Holiday.And plan was major..to visit Tokyo Disney Resort.Tokyo is one of the few places outside USA where Disney have their resort.And since we were there, we didnt wanted to miss it.I extracted all required info from internet & that day after office we went straight home.Had some food & slept early as we have to get up asap next day monring.We knew its gonna be a tiring day.The park opens at 10 am but we can reach there as early as 8 am.take your passes & hang around to nearby shops etc till the main doors open.We got up by 7-7.30 am and got ready by 9 am.To reach Disney resort from our apartments, we have to catch JR Keiyo Line from Tokyo station & get down at Maihama station.Journey is not more than 30 mins.But it was one of the most exciting..made so by the anticipation of visiting the most populer theme park in the world.We were as excited as a child.We can see the Cindrella palace from the train as we approach Maihama station. There is this grand entrance to this park just outside station.There are 2 theme parks here.Tokyo Disneyland & Tokyo Disney Sea.Disney Sea is more of a water rides so we decided to skip it.Any park,you need 1 complete day to visit fully.We reached at the main gates just in time for the gates to open.1 day passport would cost you Yen 5800 ie Rs2000 approx.As you enter you reach World Bazar area.This is the place where they have all their shops & eating places.Disney park is divided into 6 theme lands namely, World bazar,Adventureland, Westernland,Critter Country,Fantasyland,Toontown & Tomorrowland.At worldbazar,main attraction is Omnibus.Early 20th-century New York saw this vehicle in popular use, and it remains that way at the Park.We took round in this heritage vehicle & that was our first.but not before shaking hands with entire Mickey Mouse gang who continue to play around on the streets of World Bazar & greet those who visit the park.It was drizzling now & we were not carring any raingear.Sonu liked one the raincoats there & insisted that I shud buy it for her.I had no other option but buy it for her ;-)She immediately wore it & looked like child in it.Adventureland is all about The lazy bayous of the Caribbean, the colorful marketplaces of Latin America, the Jungles and grasslands of Africa, and the tropical regions of Asia and Polynesia.We emersed ourselves in the world of swashbuckling pirates and crocodiles.Jungle Cruise,Swiss family Treehouse & Western River railroad, all these 3 rides were wonderful.In Jungle cruise,they have artificial animals who operate with remote controls entertain you in their natural habitat.Western River railroad was exciting too as we go thru ups & downs in a small train by lightening speed.It was pretty exciting.one more thing they have there,is for all populer rides, they have something called as Fast Pass.using that we can get a appointed time when we can get back at the ride & take a special route where you will be treated with priority compared to those standing in the queue.In the meanwhile you can always go & visit other rides.You see popcorns & Sonu not getting crazy abt it is a difficult scanario.But the Disney signature bucket in which they serve you popcorns makes it really attarctive.We bought one.Drizzle,popcorns,colourful people,kids & rides...it was so exciting.We were enjoying like kids there.Westernland is all about the towering Big Thunder Mountain to the majestic flow of the Rivers of America, encounters await with cowboys, cancan dancers, gold miners and other denizens of the Old West. The shops and restaurants recall the rugged spirit of the Western U.S. frontier.After Western Railroad,we needed some simple rides & thats why they have in next to that.Mark Twain Riverboat,Tom Sawyer Rafts.Inbetween we spent some time watching the bear show at Country Bear Theatre.Thunder mountain was equal thrill.For the wildest ride in the west, no daredevil or thrill-seeker should miss a ride aboard one of the company's mine trains that roar down the tracks without an engineer.Next we moved into Critter Country.This is the land that the small animals from the Disney film Song of the South, known as "critters," have made their own. Throughout the area, you can see the critters' burrows and little homes, especially along the banks of the Rivers of America and on the slopes of Splash Mountain.At Splash mountain we have a chance to ride in one of the Beaver Brothers' hollowed-out boats and follow the cartoon antics of Brer Rabbit on a hair-raising flume adventure with the steepest, highest and wettest drop in the Park!Formerly called Chick-A-Pin Hill, Splash Mountain was renamed after an accident caused the Beaver Brothers' dam to explode and flood the whole mountain.Looking at the way your ride jumps down from a 5o feet steep slope was terrifying enough for Sonu to say no to this ride.I have to try all the tricks in my hat to convince her that she will enjoy it most.Finally she agreed.There was long queue so we took fast pass & moved towards fantasyland.We had arond 2 hrs before our turn at the Splash Mountain at 7 pm.So far in excitement hunger didnt strike us & we were eating popkorns that kept our stomoch a bit easy.But after taking fast pass,we decided to take a quick break for food.You have variety of food available..mostly japanese & western though.We opeted for Pizza & soda.Again here the plastic container in which they served us was wonderful.We still have it.A foldable tiffin box!Food was ok.But anyways,we were looking for some easy rides now & fantasylands offers you just that.Rides to sit,watch & enjoy.In next 2 hours,we enjoyed almost all the rides there, starting frm Peter pan Flight to Its a small world dream ride,snow white adventure to Castle carrousel.Its a Small world was patucurly something that we liked.We enjoyed the colorful scenes and the merry figures of children from around the world singing and dancing to the cheerful anthem "it's a small world."Peter Pan's flight was also wonderful.With a little bit of pixie dust, your pirate ship will fly you through the night skies over London, past the second star to the right and on to Never Land. You'll see Peter Pan, Wendy, Captain Hook and other characters in scenes from this popular tale. By the time we finish with Fantasyland,it was time to stand in fastpass queue for Splash Mountain.As you move inside,its all dark.Feel like walking in a cave,After standing there for 15 - 20 mins,out turn came.The water bourne ride took us thru many exciting scenes,ups & down before finally walking up that final jump platform.We were excited but more than thrilled & frightened thinking how its gonna be.And finally that moment came.We were thrown from a 50 feet high mountain into water in our car.Whats more they have machine installed which takes your snap as you react to that shock on its way down.We got wet, but it was definitely thrill not experienced for a long long time by both of us.It tooks us nearly 5-10 mins to recover from that shock.On our way out,we saw our snap & bought it.I still have it on my collection as a wonderful & thrilling memory of Disney visit.It was a bit dark now..around 7.30 pm & we still had Toontown & Tomorrowland to explore.Park closed at 10 pm.We had arrox 2.5 hrs within which we have to accomodate shopping also.We decided to be selctive now.Toontown is a town bursting with color and cartoon verve. There's a zany, uproarious downtown, a loony town square, and a suburban neighborhood where Disney characters live, work, and play.We met MrMickey Mouse himself at his studio here & he obliged us with a picture also.That was nice!Among other things, we liked Mickey & Minnie Mouse's house there & so is Donald's boat. Steer and spin a cartoon-like cab for a wild and wacky chase through the back alleys of Toontown in Roger Rabbit's car Toon Spin ride was exciting.It was almost 9 pm & we didnt had much choice but to skip Tomorrowland as most its rides had long queues & fast pass queue were showing time after 9.30 pm which will not allow us any time to shop.Microadventure was the only ride that we took there.Here When Professor Wayne Szalinski from the Disney movies Honey, I Shrunk the Kids and Honey, I Blew Up the Kid arrives to receive the "Inventor of the Year" award from the Imagination Institute, the audience gets caught up in a "little" adventure.It was drizzling continuously & my shoe have lost its soul to the rain.Since evening I was alomst crawling,trying to keep it attached to the shoe,with the help of some glue which was left at the toe.But the whole experience was so gripping & exciting that I never realised its pain til it was time to retire frm the park.We were really tired now & clock move towards closing time.but we still have some energy reserved for shopping.At World bazar again on our way out,we shopped a few souvenier items from there,including a Disney Photo frame,which we now have on our showcase in Living room.Completely wet & tired,we reached the Maihama station again for our travel back home.On train,there was nothing else on mind but those wonderful memories of time that me & sonu spent together at the most enchanting place that we have been for some time now.

Friday was my last day in Tokyo office.For last couple of days,there were discussion around a possible 1 FTE Japan FX migration to Mumbai which Vivek & Krishna has agreed to hand over to me till they identify long term Asia team & its manager.Since it was last day,probably Krishna felt like walking me around some places in Tokyo.he has not enough time till Thursday.So that afternoon,he came to me & said that he would like to take me to the busiest signal in the world.I was free and so was he.First he took me to a nearby eletrinic store where he has to return something.While he did that,I was finding myself glaring a 3 D LCD TV,which was playing a tennis match.Live example of latest Japanese technology!!When he came back,we started towards Shibuya.Took a JR line train & reached there in 20-30 mins.While in transit, he shared with me a few noval experiences of him in Tokyo & what he understood as their way of life & culture.It was quiet insightful!!After some struggle to locate the place,he finally got it right.And there we were standing among thousands of other people at the Shibuya Station Trafiic Signal,arguably the most crowded traffic signal in thw world.Reminded me of one that we have outside Churchgate station.But looking at crowd,I had no doubts in my mind that it could the most busiest in the world!After crossing it,he took me their Yen shop.We get everything cheaper here from daily household things to furniture & eletronics.But that day I bought nothing more than Chips there..Lays Classic for 300 yen.But looking at its prices, I knew that i will return there in next 2 days.Krishna helped me board Tokyo bound train & then back I came to Tokyo office.Sonu was already ready & waiting for me.It was around 6.30 pm.As usual after picking up our pastry from Tokyo station shop we boarded the Yamanote Line train bound for Ikebokuro to reach home.We have to sleep early as next day we have to be at Hato Bus terminal opposite Office building for our 1 day tour of Mount Fuji & Hakone National Park at 8.30 am sharp.

We took no chances & ensured that we both reach there at 20 past 8 am. Person at the reception confirmed our bookings & asked to wait in one of the adjoining rooms. In few mins Hato Tour bus arrieved to take us to their Tokyo terminal from were we would be borading the bigger bus which will take us to Mt.Fuji & Hakone.The booking was full as all seats were occupied.We got fresh before borading the bus as next stop was at base of Mt.Fuji after almost 4 hours. We have packed enough snax with us to survive till we return home in evening. The journey began well with siteseeing of Tokyo's monuments on the way.The tour guide was also good & experiences as he kept us entertained by sharing Japan's history & interesting information abt its culture. Infrastructure in Japan is truly world class as we experienced it well thru our travel. By 12 noon we reached Mount Fuji.Mount Fuji is one of the dormant Volcanos in Japan & last erupted in 1604.Since then there has been sesmis activity in & around Mt.Fuji but no eruption.APart from its geological importance, Mt.Fuji is also considered as a place of worship by Japanese.The guide said that its auspicious for every Japanese to be at Mt.Fuji atleast once in his life. At the base where our bus took the first halt had a Tourist Information Center with all the information about Mt.Fuji that you may ever wany to to know.It also offers fantastic background to click some snaps.We took us souvenier snap here.Thanx to one of the Indians we met on bus.We never thought that he will be a cause of trouble on that day for us.This guys was from Delhi & like many others we know, had least repsect for time & guide's instructions.We got the taste of it when we got warning from the Guide for reaching late from first halt. Next halt was at level 1 where we were given 1 hour for lunch with facility to use one of the hotels restaurants there.We have got Masala Rice for our lunch.However post that Thanks to Mr.Delhiite we got late by almost 10 mins.This was enough for our Guide to get angry.Not only he started shouting at us but fellow passengers also booed us badly.We promised ourselves that we will not roam around with that guy again.Afterall it was India's pride at stake which unfortunately he was unable to understand.

Next on was level 2 of Mt.Fuji at some 1200 meters height from sea level.We cant go beyond that as rest was covered in snow that day.Travel to Hakone from Mt.Fuji also offers some really beautiful views of the Mountain.Thanx to our Sony Camera that we were able to capture it live.Mt.Fuji to Hakone is a short journey of hardly of an hour.Hakone is famous for its natural hot water springs & national park plus five lakes.That day we were suppose to get boat tour on one of those lakes.Lake Ashi.A delightful cruise on Lake Ashi aboard a large siteseeing boat with crisp air & refreshing verdure is simply one of the best feature of this tour.A half an hour tour will take you to the base of a Ropway station at Mount Kamagatake.There are a few souveniers shops at the base where we bought a Samurai Sword keychain.Talking with fellow travellers from Australia who was sharing his travel experiences from India we boarded one of the tubes of the Ropeway.I think its a steep 1000 meters rise from base where we reach at the other end which is one of the highest peaks in Hakone & offers another magnificient view of Mt.Fuji.Myself & Sonu were being close to a volcano (though Dormant) for the first time in our life.Volcanos has always fascinated me.The sheer devetsating power they unleash when they erupt is a thing to watch & realise the might of nature. I cudnt hide that excitement each time I got a view of the Mt.Fuji.At top, we took quiet a few snaps.There again the Delhite troubled us for snaps.We obliged but not at the cost of our enjoyment.Last ride down was at 5.45 pm.We took the one at 5.30.It was chilling cold up there.Good that we have got our winter gear on that saved us the trouble. Travel down was equally exciting as travel up which offers wonderful views of Lake Ashi & Mt.Fuji with lush greenary around.

From 5.45 pm we started the last leg of the tour.Bus travel to Odawara station where we borad the Shinkansen Bullet Train for Tokyo.Shinkansen Bullet Train introduced in Japan in 1960 are one of the fastest trains in the world with top speed of 350 km/hour.Distance btw Odawara & Tokyo is not that much that it will allow train to take that much speed. but it definitely was over 200 km/hours when it picked up the speed.While waiting at Odawara station a bullet train passed by like a whistle past us.Before the guide can finish his 4 words "There it is coming"..the train has gone.Exhilirating stuff.We were excited as anybody to be on that train for next hour or so.The train arrieved on time.Inside seating arrangements in Bullet train resembles to that of a plane.Two rows of 3 seats each with a passage inbtw.Guide checked for all passengers & we were on our way to the shortest but most fascinating ride of our Tokyo visit.Have I ever thought that we will get a chance to travel in one of the fastest train in world.Na..never!Thank you God for this oppourtinity. by 8 pm we reached Tokyo station frm where our guide took us to Yamanote line.It was another day to remember on our unforgettable Tokyo visit.

Next Day was my last day in Tokyo before I return to Mumbai on Monday. Like all other days, we had plans freezed for Sunday also.Itinerary was Tsukiji Market, Roopongi,Tokyo Tower & Shinjuku.We had a usual breakfast of Khichadi & left home after fully getting ourselves fully loaded for the days travel.Tsukiji is the considered to be the biggest fish market in the world.After talking to a few guys & with the help of our map, we boarded the train from Akhihabara for Tsukiji.Unfortunately it was a bit late in the day for fish market in Tsukiji even though it was only 9 am.I was told that this market opens at 2.30 am when large ships bring fish in huge quantity which is then offboarded at nearby harbours & then transported to Tsukiji.3.30 - 5.30 am are peak hours at the market.That day even we were late luckily we got a flavour of the world biggest market in some shops which were still open.Namita is a big fish lover & naturally was very excited to see the variety & size of fish there.She was quick to pick up something for home.Tsukiji that we saw was charactarised by small lanes & smaller shops which will house variety of fish.Cutting fish specially big one (as big as 6-8 feet long) is considered to be a big ritual going by th way they were cutting it.After being there, we picked up traing towards Roopongi. I have been there a few days back & liked it so much that wanted Sonu to be there also.Roopongi Hills is one of the tallest buildings in Tokyo & one of the most beautiful also.Exit for Roopongi Station has a escalator that brings you ground level & opens directly into Roopongi Hills buildings.At basement it has cafes & shops.Before we marched on, we cooled off our heels at Starbucks with some coffie & Snax.From there & after enjoying Rooponagi Hills, we wondered on the streets of Roppongi till we got tired.Searching for subway traing station to go to Shinjuku took us a while but we didnt midn that as each moment that we spend together there was full of fun.

Shinjuku is suppose to be the businest train station & somehow we manage to reach Shinjuku.Purpose was to visit Govt.Metropolitan Building.This building has straight passage frm Shinjuku.It has two towers, north & south.Entry to observatoty of this 50 storey building is free.We stood in queue for the elevator for north tower first.From observatory this building offers one of the most beautiful view of Tokyo city.There are 4 main buildings from top of which we can see aerial view of Tokyo.Tokyo Tower, Roopongi Hills,Sunshine 60 & Govt Metropolitan Building.Last sunday we have been to sunshine 60 at Ikebokuro.Shinjuku is located diaginally opposite to Ikebokuro.It was fun on top as we enjoy the view till far & wide of Tokyo.We were hanging around Metropolitan building for almost 90 mins.the surrounding area is so good that you dont feel like leaving.On the way back to Shinjuku station we got a feel of why Shinjuku is called commercial area of Tokyo.From Shinjuku we then arrived at Shibuya.After crossing world's busiest traffic signal (again here I wanted Sonu to feel it where I have been a few days back with Krishna), we reached Donkey Shop for some window shopping.I wanted to share this with Sonu so that for the rest of her stay she can come any time & shop here.Hardly I realised that this is going to be shopping poison for Sonu for rest of her stay there.We picked up some sox for Sonu & then some ice cream from Baskin & Robbins across the street.The buzz there in Shibuya was so engrossing that we didnt felt like leaving it for next couple of hours.Since it was late by the time we left Shibuya we then decided to pick up burger from McDonalds nexit to Akhihabara station.We also spend some time checking out exact location from where next day i was going to pick up Narita Express for reaching airport so that next day there is no confusion.

Bags were already packed so next day monring I was able to leave on time to pick up 7.30 am Narita express from Tokyo Station.It was sad to leave Sonu.She came down to see me off. I could sense the feeling in her eyes & tears in the cornor.I didnt wanted to prolong that moment so I left hurriedly. She has given me Sabudana khichadi for eating in transit & that served well during my halt at Kualalumpur.Lucklily my travels till Mumbai were on time. Till date among all holidays that we have spent together, this is simply the best one.It supersedes among all others b'use each moment that we spent there has some memory attached to it which is engraved in our memory for the time to come.It was best fun moments of our life..simple fun & beyond!








Advertisement



Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 20; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0523s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb