Nikko in the rain


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tochigi » Nikko
November 1st 2009
Published: November 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Let’s go..Nikko !!
Leaving the buzz of Tokyo we travelled two hours North of Tokyo to Nikko. Using my flash JR pass (Japanese Rail pass) for the first time, we boarded the super fast bullet train. I have been on trains, fast ones, in Europe. But I have never been on a bullet train. Like all train tickets, the carriage number is printed on it, but unlike most places the carriage number is also clearly labelled on the ground. The platform even has a box so you can line up, so when it comes you can hop on the train without the hassle of wandering aimlessly up and down looking for your carriage. Inside was really spacious, with lots of leg room, a table and even a ‘in train shop magazine’ just like the duty shopping on a flight. Not understanding a word of the brochure it quickly turned from a brochure to a comic book, trying to decipherer by the animations and the photos what exactly they were trying to sell was very funny. Also toilets on trains can be an issue 99% of the time, usually dirty, smelly and just unpleasant. Ah but of course Japanese train toilets are a joy, cos they are heated, clean, smell free and even have an automated sink that will give you soap, water and then blow dry your hands. Did I mention that I love Japan?

A stark contrast from the big lights of Tokyo, Nikko has only 1% of the population that Tokyo has. Walking around the small quaint town, you would almost forget that you were even in Japan. Last night I felt like we were in a small country village in Germany. Wooden buildings, yes, cold weather, yes, clean streets, yes, hills, yes. Even the little Inn where we ate had a very Germanic feel to it. Although the bilingual menu and the big photo of the Emperor and Empress of Japan hanging on the wall quickly brought me feet back down to reality.

We stayed outside town in a traditional Inn called a Ryokan. Leaving ones shoes by the doorway you entered into a good sized room. The highest object in the room was the coffee table against the wall. The twin beds were on the floor. Just two thin mattress side by side with big thick comfy duvet on top of each. The floor was covered in rattan mats. It was a very simple, but functional room. The ensuite had the usual toilet (although no heated seat this time), sink and deep small bath/shower.

The morning was taken up by sightseeing. Unfortunately for me it was raining the whole time we were exploring. I say this as I was a little bit unprepared as the only shoes in my possession being my favourite Crocs. Now Crocs are wonderful shoes, I love mine, but there are wholly and don’t provide any barrier against the rain. I tried to put socks on, covered with plastic bags with another layer of socks on top. This wonderful invention kept the rain from socking my feet for a whole 10mins if most. So I saw the sights with wet cold feet. I forgot to say it was cold too, you know the see your breath type of cool, brrrrrrrrr. Despite being against the element the sights were just wonderful. Seeing Nikko’s trees in their Autumnal colours was just a beautiful sight, I really loved it. My eye even got sore, from peering through the view finder taking soo many photos. The different hue of reds, yellows and greens all blended together was a such a pretty sight. On our tour we saw temples, shrines, pagodas, bridges and despite all the rain lots of tourists. It was a national holiday the following day so the tourists, Japanese and foreigners alike flocked by the bus load to see all that Nikko had to offer.


>>>>>> look at next page to see all the photos <<<<<<<<<




Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0583s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb