Grassroots Sumo - a future Grand Champion?


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Shimane » Okuizumo
October 19th 2006
Published: November 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post


One of the schools I visit happened to have their Autumn Festival the day I was scheduled to be there - a tough afternoon ;-)


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

On with the 'happi'On with the 'happi'
On with the 'happi'

'Happi' coats were originally worn by Japanese shop keepers, with the family crest on the back. Now they are widely used at festivals. The kanji (Japanese character) on the back means 'festival'. Tasuki (the red strap around the shoulders) are used to keep the sleeves out of the way.
"That's where they went..""That's where they went.."
"That's where they went.."

One of the Grade One kids was keen to try my sunglasses for size...
Mikoshi paradeMikoshi parade
Mikoshi parade

The mikoshi parade went from the school to a local shrine, via a few neighbourhood 'stops' where people had gathered. At each place the mikoshi were taken on a few laps at jogging pace.
Mikoshi lineupMikoshi lineup
Mikoshi lineup

After arriving at the shrine the mikoshi were 'introduced' to friends and family who came to watch the entertainment.
Sumo ArenaSumo Arena
Sumo Arena

Before a sumo bout the rikishi (fighters) lift their legs high in the air and stomp them down, to scare away any demons. They also throw several handfuls of salt into the ring, which is said to purify the ring. Many rikishi will also sprinkle salt around their bodies as a means of protecting them from injury. A sumo match is won when any part of an opponent's body other than the bottoms of the feet touche the dohyo or when they are pushed or thrown outside of the ring.
Sumo SandpitSumo Sandpit
Sumo Sandpit

As part of proceedings, local kindergarten representatives were assigned the task of flattening the mound before the sumo began.


Tot: 0.308s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 46; qc: 163; dbt: 0.162s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb