Floating down the river, Matsue in the sun


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Shimane » Matsue
September 9th 2005
Published: September 10th 2005
Edit Blog Post

We've taken a side step from the temples of Kyoto to the canal lined city of Matsue on our way down south to Hiroshima.

Matsue is a beautiful wee city on the Shinji-Ko river, it's a really sleepy wee place with a huge castle and is famous for being the home of Lafcadio Hearn, or Koizumi Yakumo as he's know around these parts, who was a British writer who came to Japan in 1890, he was the first person to write about life in Japan from a foreign perspective and the Japanese love to know what other people think about them!!

We had a relaxing couple of days here just wandering around the town and crusing along the canals, there isn't another foriegner in town as far as we've seen and nobody speaks English so it's be a struggle trying to get our point accross, a lot of pointing, bowing and smiling has been the plan of attack.

It's great to see a bit of sleepy Japan, away from the big cities of Kyoto and Tokyo, this place seems untouched for hundereds of years and is a real interesting insight into the culture and the people.

The boat ride was a great way to see the town and we didn't even have to pay for it, I hope it wasn't lost in translation or somthing but we're pretty sure that he said we didn't have to pay him after our first ride around. He then told us to come back later for a trip up to the castle, we assumed we'd have to pay then so went along for the ride but yet again he wouldn't take any cash, he seemed happy to have us on his boat and I think they make a fortune from the Japanese tourist, of which there are loads, so maybe wanted to help out the 'Schotolando' man? I dinnae ken the reason but we'll happilly take a free ride.

Our wee boat had to squeeze underneath lots of tiny bridges and tunnels and each time the driver would wind the roof right down to get through, great fun!

The castle here is the second oldest in Japan and is a beautiful wooden structure dating back to 1611. The people are friendly and we met and old man from New Zealand on the train here and had a good chat
Matsue CastleMatsue CastleMatsue Castle

The second oldest in Japan
with him so all tolled it's been a great couple of days, we're looking forward to Hiroshima but a bit daunted by what we know is there, the A-Bomb memorial is meant to be one of the most harrowing things you'll ever see but I guess it has to be seen to be believed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Matsue townMatsue town
Matsue town

from the top of the Castle.
Samurai HelmetsSamurai Helmets
Samurai Helmets

in Matsue Castle.
Hi Cheese !!Hi Cheese !!
Hi Cheese !!

Fiona and a couple of Samurai warriors
Em the drever....Em the drever....
Em the drever....

Andrew and the captain
We're not going under that?We're not going under that?
We're not going under that?

A wee bridge in Matsue
We'll no fit in there!!We'll no fit in there!!
We'll no fit in there!!

A wee tunnel in Matsue
The turtles of OshashiThe turtles of Oshashi
The turtles of Oshashi

Raphael, Donatello and Leonardo, from memory.... Hero's in a half shell......
Bruce*, the driverBruce*, the driver
Bruce*, the driver

Not his real name.
Andrew saysAndrew says
Andrew says

"Hi Cheese" to the beer


12th September 2005

Vancouver,B.C. Can.
Love your journals! Keep having a great time. When I was travelling/working my way around, my route was similar to yours. I loved the freedom of going where I wanted with no particular schedule to follow. I guess that's why it took me just under 3 years to get back home! Best of luck to you both. Japan was awesome. I too stood out, being 5'6", blond hair and blue eyed, I always had a camera pointed at me. They loved fair girls. Fiona must attract quite crowd at times with the young men and you with the ladies. Keep those blogs coming, they are great reading.

Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0243s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb