Maeda Misaki


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Okinawa
February 22nd 2003
Published: November 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Maeda ArchMaeda ArchMaeda Arch

Looking through the rocks towards the flats.
We had been to Maeda misaki (point) several times for scuba diving, and snorkeling but on this occasion we were there with a different mission. We were determined to find some rockclimbing routes we had been told were there.

We walked all over the area, into and on trails that we didn't even know existed. In fact, during our search, we actually stumbled upon a geocache (our first) and that is where I caught the bug for that sport.

When you park at Maeda, you can travel to the left and find these really cool areas that have lots of great rock formations with beautiful sand beaches. We explored a few of the little caves and rocks we found. Unfortunately, the rockclimbing routes were not on this side.

We moved over to the parking lot again, and the view from there is unbelievable by the way. The water in Okinawa is very clear and the reefs are just beautiful (this explains why people love to dive and snorkel here). The shots I got of the reef from the top are just beautiful.

After admiring the view for a bit, we moved over to the right, much further
Maeda ReefMaeda ReefMaeda Reef

View of the reef from the cliff near the parking area.
down than we had ever gone before while diving. There are a ton of little trails in the area and even if we hadn't found the routes, we were thrilled to have explored this less traveled area.

We did find the routes eventually and did some climbing there on a couple of occasions but it was always a bit scary and very hard on your hands since the rock base is mostly volcanic, very sharp and pointy.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Maeda FlatsMaeda Flats
Maeda Flats

The rock formations at the flat areas of Maeda point.
Maeda ClimbingMaeda Climbing
Maeda Climbing

Climbing Maeda misaki...


2nd November 2006

Oki Paradise
This brought back so many memories for me and just what a beautiful place Okinawa is. I would rather go to Oki than Hawaii any time. The other beautiful thing about it is the Okinawan people, so courteous and gracious. I want to go back!!! Thank you Mishka for this interesting part of your Oki travels - I do not believe I saw these formations when I was there.
30th August 2009

maeda flats
Hey, it's me again. This is one of our favorite spots snorkelling left of maeda point. We follow the road to the left for about a half mile then walk down through the cane field to the beach. Do you live here in Okinawa?

Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0627s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb