Visit Iheya Island


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Okinawa
January 23rd 2016
Published: January 23rd 2016
Edit Blog Post

Iheya Island is a tiny 20-kilometer strip of craggy mountains surrounded by subtropical sea, just north of Okinawa Main Island. Three tiny villages of farmers and fishermen huddle in calm sheltered spots with magnificent views of ocean and jungle. The long white beaches are decorated with fantastical rock formations some that house ancient gods. There are lots of traditional Okinawan wooden houses, some lovingly tended and others sagging into the greenery. The people have their own dialect, dances and stories and are very hospitable.



My first visit during the Tour de Okinawa was wonderful. There was a welcome party, lots of locals rode around the island with us and streamers and dancers farewelled us. Perfect weather, friendly locals, delicious vegetarian food, comfortable homey accommodation and long empty beaches were worthy of another visit. On my second visit, I brought a car full of friends on the ferry, and explored some more. Same warm welcome and beautiful views.





I especially like the Nentou Hiramatsu, a venerable 400 year old pine tree. Looking over the East China Sea at Okinawa Honto is pretty special too. I really like Iheya Island.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Nentou HiramatsuNentou Hiramatsu
Nentou Hiramatsu

400 year old pine
Yonezaki BeachYonezaki Beach
Yonezaki Beach

Watching sunset on an empty beach

Shell BlockShell Block
Shell Block

Amenities with style
YaheishiYaheishi
Yaheishi

Not just a rock, but once a castle


23rd January 2016

Beautiful photos!
Thanks again for your lovely photos. Looks like a very interesting place. Cheers Hilary x
24th January 2016

Did you ever visit?
Thanks Hilary, did you ever get to Okinawa when you lived in Japan? You would love the islands here - you could kayak into all the pretty little bays!
24th January 2016

No never visited that island but I wish I had it looks awesome!

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.053s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb