Okinawa Peace Memorial Park


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Okinawa
February 20th 2010
Published: February 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Okinawa Peace Memorial ParkOkinawa Peace Memorial ParkOkinawa Peace Memorial Park

Taken from: http://www.okinawa.usmc.mil/public%20affairs%20info/Images%20Complete/HighResImages/060714-park2.jpg

Okinawa Peace Memorial Park



After visiting the Ryukyu Glass Village, James and I headed a bit further south to see the Okinawa Peace Memorial Park. Located on Mabuni Hill, where the last battles took place on Okinawa, the park is dedicated to the 200,000 people that died in the fighting for control of the island. Of theses 200,000 people, 100,000 were Okinawan civilians caught in the crossfire.

James and I went to a lookout point first where we had a wonderful view of the ocean. With such a serence view it was hard to imagine such a fierce battle happening here in 1945.

We then walked through the stone monuments inscribed with the names of all those who died during the "Typhoon of Steal". There were 148,289 Okinawans, 75,219 Japanese from other prefectures, 14,006 Americans, 82 from the United Kingdom, 28 from Taiwan, 82 from North Korea, 263 from the Republic of Korea. It totaled 237, 969 people. It was rather sobering to say the least.

The museum was interesting and didn't present seem to be very bias. I think this had to do with the rather bitter relationship that developed between the Okinawans and Japanese because of the war. Because of the Battle of Okinawa the islanders have developed what is known as the "Okinawa Heart". It is a way of life that deeply respects personal dignity, rejects any acts related to war, and cherishes culture. This memorial park was built by the people of Okinawa to mourn those who were lost to war, to pass on to future generations the historic lessons of the Battle of Okinawa, and to convey their message to the world and contribute to establish permanent peace.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.88s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.7372s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb