Visit Yaeyama Islands


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Okinawa » Iriomote Island
January 14th 2015
Published: January 14th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Beautiful, isolated, remote Iriomote. If Okinawa is the poorest prefecture in Japan, then surely the far-flung islands are the most disadvantaged parts. About 2000 people live scattered along a 48 kilometre road that hugs half of the coast of Iriomote, and the remaining 80 percent of the island is untouched tropical forest and mangrove wetlands. Tourism, breeding beef cattle to be raised in other prefectures, pineapples and sugar cane are the main sources of income. Nearby Taketomi, a tiny “traditional village” of 300 people has a thriving day trip industry. A ride through the quaint streets on a water buffalo cart, a taste of Okinawan soba noodles and the sound of sanshin music make for a perfect day. There are no convenience stores, fast food outlets or beach clean ups, but there is a research centre to protect the critically endangered Iriomote Mountain cat from extinction. Iriomote is remote, isolated and beautiful.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



15th January 2015

Special
Wow, sounds amazing. Must say I had never heard of the island. Remote but not untouched by the look of the debris. Did you get to see any cats at a distance? Do they tell you what to do, how to behave if you do? XX. D
21st January 2015

Beautiful Island
What a fasinating and almost pristine island. Love the photos except the last. Great news the two of you are on Okinawa.

Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1081s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb