Japan -- We're fine


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Nikko
March 11th 2011
Published: March 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We chose today to take a daytrip to Nikko, a mountain town about 2 hours north of Tokyo.

The ground shook a bit at around 2:30 PM, local time. Nothing serious.

Our return train was cancelled. We have rented a hotel room, and we have plenty of money.

Seeing the news about Tokyo, we might be staying here a few days.

Don't worry, we're fine. Just dumb luck.

Charles & Sandra


Advertisement



11th March 2011

Hope all is well
Hi, I guess this might be the best way to reach you... Glad you are both safe. Please keep us updated...
11th March 2011

Wow - lucky people!
Just after 0730 Friday and have been reading about the earthquake. Obviously a 'biggee'. Enjoy Nikko - we were both there 40 plus years ago and remember how picturesque it all is. Lots of visiting school children at the time in their blue and white uniforms with teacher carrying a flag. Watch out for aftershocks of course. Charles, have you checked out Akihabara yet? Brian and Neomi
11th March 2011

thank goodness you're safe
first thing i thought of this am when i heard the earthquake news was "i hope charles and sandra are safe". thank goodness you travelled to nikko. talk about serendipity! this will be the story of your lifetimes. take care!
12th March 2011

Hi
Your nonchalant comments are in sharp contrast to the image in the US press, which has been cover-to-cover searching for the most extreme cases. From here, you get a limited idea of the relatively small area of Japan that got the major damage. There is a lot of press, also, on the tsunamis, mostly on this side of the "pond." So far as I have seen, there was 1 life lost in the US, a photographer in Crescent City (Way north CA) who was following a departing wave, and didn't realize it did multiple cycles... I had special interest in the reactor problems, because Sunday, the last talk of the sustainable energy conf was a strong defense of reactor power by a Nuclear Eng prof at Berkeley. His main point, carried into private discussions as well, was that in the 30 yrs since TMI, we had learned an enormous amount, cleared up a lot of systematic problems and bugs by doing root cause analysis of all significant problems, and imposed much greater controls and engineering and admin oversight. My guess is that he would have considered the problems with the 2 reactors near Tokyo to be evidence of successful containment... Have a good "rest of the trip!" You really did have a uniquely fortunate experience. R.
12th March 2011

Thank god!
Charles and Sandra As you know I don't have TV but I happened to be doing and early morning shift at the hospice suite and watched in stunned silence at the disaster unfolding in Japan. It never occurred to me about the danger you might be in until I awoke this morning. I jumped out of bed and tore down to my computer to see if there was any news. Thank you for letting us all know. Do take care of yourselves. Cyber hugs to you. Coryll.
12th March 2011

Stay safe!!!
happy to know that yourOK!!! Thinking about you and it truly was not the best timing-WHO KNEW!!Take care and stay safe. Love, Dick and Marilyn

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0531s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb