Climb every mountain


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Mt Fuji
June 3rd 2006
Published: June 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Just a quick blog today to fill you in on what we've been up to. Yesterday we decided to have a bit of a lie-in and rest our tired, aching legs. When we got the energy to head out, we had intended to visit Ueno park which is not far from the hotel. As it turned out, we finally uncovered the location of the Sega Joypolis theme park and before you can say sayonara we were on the metro again heading to Obeida where we were on Monday.

Joypolis isn't quite as exciting as it sounds but there were lots of cool video rides like the simulated flying and riding the rapids. There was a sideways rollercoaster which wasn't scary in itself except for the fact that you had elastic straps to hold you in (or not hold you in too well as I found out!)

Yesterday we also took a detour to the Planetarium which is housed in a fabous interactive science museum. We had fun playing with the exhibits but were disappointed with the planetarium show as it was a bit slow and monotonous. There was an audio guide in English so it wasn't that we didn't understand anything, it was just a presentation that nearly sent both of us to sleep!

Today we were feeling a bit more refreshed and got up early to catch the train to Mount Fuji. It didn't look that far on the map but in actual fact it took 5 hours to reach it by various trains and a long bus ride. By the time we arrived, we only had 1 hour until the last bus took us back down again. When we found this out we were both gutted and nearly considered not bothering. As we had travelled so far though, we bit the bullet and paid the high fare and it turned out to be worth the money. Although it was cloudy so you Couldn't see much in the way of views, the summit was clearly visible and very impressive :-)) We found a track and had a bit of a trek from our base which was about halfway up the mountain. It was just beautiful there and we fully intend to go back and climb it properly one day.

This evening we still had time to mooch around Shinjuku and it was amazing seeing all the neon signs lit up. Last time we went it was in the week and daylight. This time, all of Tokyo had come out to play - it was bedlam!! Imagine Oxford Street crossed with Picadilly Circus on a Saturday night and then throw in a bit of Camden and you get a vague idea of what it was like!!

Alas tonight is the last night in Tokyo :-( Tomorrow we're heading to Kyoto, which used to be the capital many, many years ago and we're told is the best place to learn about Japanese history.

Before I go I'd like to say a quick thank you to everyone who has sent us messages. Keep in touch and we promise to do proper emails soon! Hopefully, I'll also get round to uploading more photos soon too but it's quite time consuming on here I'm afraid. Take care folks and see you all in Kyoto!

Advertisement



3rd June 2006

Sounds amazing i am glad your keeping us posted, also loving the pics and i want a walking dino as well now..................

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0267s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb