Koyoto, Japan, Day 4


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Kyoto
December 27th 2011
Published: December 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We checked out of the Weekly Green at Namba in Osaka. We were really getting comfortable there and we had 5 meals in our kitchenette so that was sure handy. We took the train to Kyoto, about a 1 hr. trip and found that our hotel was only a half block from the station so that was really nice. We are staying at Village Kyoto, a Japanese style hotel (Ryokan) and our room is very contemp with tatami floors and futons. You sit on the futons and then fold them out to beds and add lots of padding and comforters. Super comfy to sleep on and they have a nice onsen bath here that we are enjoying.

During the day Wednesday we met up with Toshiko (Beth's host mom) and her granddaughter Shiori and we visited the Golden Temple, Kinkaku-ji, which is a Buddist Temple and is one of the most photographed of all the temples.

Next we visited Ryoanji Temple , also Buddist and this one is famous for the xeroscape rock gardens that everyone makes mini replicas of with the raked rocks. The idea is to sit and meditate in the rock garden until you discover what the rocks are saying to you. I'll have to try this in my own front yard.

We went to eat at a famous ramen cafe with Toshiko and Shiori. The hot ramen was delicious after being out in the cold all afternoon. Japanese noodles are wonderful, not like the ramen in the package. They added slices of pork, and there were different toppings available to mix in like ginger and tempura crumbles.

Kristy and Beth went into the hot onsen, and Greg fell asleep in room. The women's bath pool is apparently about twice the size as the men's, we discovered later.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Zen GardenZen Garden
Zen Garden

Ryoanji Temple
Ryoanji TempleRyoanji Temple
Ryoanji Temple

Purification
WalkwaysWalkways
Walkways

Walkways everywhere are so beautifully artistic
Onsen time!Onsen time!
Onsen time!

We were provided lounge wear and robes for our trips to the onsen
SynergySynergy
Synergy

I like the logo


6th January 2012

just to let you know Greg, only the smartest rocks were chosen for your yard so they will have an abundance of knowledge to share with you.... not to mention their aesthetic characteristics!
8th January 2012

Zen Rock Gardens
I took tons of landscape pics for you. We have a very Zen yard. Can't wait to show you the pics, lots of new inspiration. You did such a great job on the yard, the Japanese would be very proud of your artistic abilities.

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb