Bicycling in Kyoto


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Kyoto
June 4th 2006
Published: June 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Finally! Finally! Finally!

I finally conned Robert to go biking with me
Today was the day that I finally got Robert to go bicycling with me!! It was soooo great, and a much quicker mode of transportation. Our first stop was a temple which was the flea market at Toji temple which they have every first Sunday of the month. There were a lot of interesting things there, and some queer American junk as well. From there we rode to a temple which a monk who spoke fairly good English directed us to. Then we sped through the streets of Kyoto to Nijo Castle where there were a fair amount of foreigners and students on field trips. By the end of the day we got pretty good at weaving through the throngs of bikes, pedestrians, scooters and cars on our bikes. For dinner we hopped on the subway to go to a restaurant some other backpackers had suggested, unfortunately their directions weren’t that good and we ended up going elsewhere.

We found a pretty neat sukiyaki restaurant which would have been excellent if the service wasn’t so poor. I guess this just goes to prove that we get crappy service all over the world. The meat was very tender and flavorful, but we sat for over 20 minutes waiting for the next course after asking for it. So eventually I just told them that we were leaving and would like to pay only for what we had ate. They only took 500 yen off the bill (about $5) but we were tired and I didn’t feel like arguing.



Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

At the swap meetAt the swap meet
At the swap meet

Morning flea market at Toji Temple
Dentist tools?Dentist tools?
Dentist tools?

some rusty junk at the swap meet
Shiny turtle shellShiny turtle shell
Shiny turtle shell

A bargain at only $100
How did he get here?How did he get here?
How did he get here?

An American oddity in the middle of JApan
Doris?Doris?
Doris?

Yet another
Robert's purchaseRobert's purchase
Robert's purchase

He couldn't resist this ivory bracelet
close up close up
close up

some interesting carvings on his bracelet


6th June 2006

I'm Jealous!
Looks like you guys are having a blast! Not much has been happening aroiund here - same old stuff. Taha was fired because of yet another lame excuse (ingrown toenail), Bob still can't sit down, and I put one of you-know-who's cigars between by butt cheeks and then back in the box. Can hardly wait till he smokes my ass! Don't worry - I'll give you the full report.

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb