Tour to Kyoto


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Kyoto » Kyoto
September 5th 2013
Published: September 22nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Kyoto



Kyoto is the 7th largest city that is located in the Kansai region made up of the prefectures of Kyoto, Shiga, Mie, Wakayama, Nara, Hyogo and Osaka with a population of 1.4 million people. Kyoto was Japan's capital and the emperor's residence from 792 AD until 1868. Kyoto is a 45min train ride from Osaka's JR station and is a 75 min train ride from the Osaka Kansai airport.

Traveler's to Kyoto can easily spend a week visiting the city's historical attractions such as the Kinkakuji (Golden Pavilion), Kyoto Imperial Palace and more. In the surrounding of Kyoto, there is more than 2000 ancient temples and shrines. The most biggest draw for tourists is the geisha girls especially in Gion-Kyoto. Gion is the most revered of the city's five geisha districts. Gion was also where "Mineko Iwasaki" lived and conducted business as a geiko, as mentioned in her autobiography Geisha of Gion.



Kyoto-Kinkakuji is the most beautiful places in Kyoto. The Kinkakuji "Golden Pavilion" is located at the foot of the gently-sloping Kinugasa Hill in the northern side of Kyoto. This is the elegant Chinese Gate that marks the entrance to the temple grounds, which is not far
from the entrance to the golden pavilion, it is located at the Bell-Tower and there is the stunning Golden Pavilion which reflects its image on the water from almost anywhere along the cherry blossom tree lined paths surrounding and the stunning Golden Pavilion, which reflects its image on the water from almost anywhere along the cherry-tree-lined paths surrounding the pond. The garden is also adorned with gravel paths, stoned lanterns and stairways, a beautiful waterfall and close to the way out of the grounds there is a peaceful tea garden among the trees.

Kyoto was for a long time cultural centre of Japan. Kyoto's food culture developed along with its history. Because Kyoto is located near the sea of Japan and Lake Biwa, it had a highly developed water transport system which meant that ingredients from around the country could be shipped easily. Kyoto cuisine is all about healthy ingredients as in general, the natural flavours and aromas of ingredients are important in Kyoto cuisine, and extra seasonings are kept at a minimum. Sweet white miso paste is also used instead of normal miso.

If still planning your trip at home, there are a number of websites that can help you to create an itinerary. Comprehensive information on the city can be found on the website manged by the " Kyoto Prefectural Government Tourism & Convention Office ". A great amount of information can also be found on the City of Kyoto's website. Both of these sites feature information on the arts, festivals, activities, dining opportunities, and other necessary tidbits for planning your trip to the city.

~ JC ~

Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0666s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb